View Single Post
Old 01-12-2012, 08:19 PM   #246
Doc
Dances With Mustangs

Drives: 2010 1SS/RS MT
Took the car to the gas station today, filled it up completely and took it to a truck scale to weigh it. To my delight (and great surprise) the weight wasn't 3,718 lbs as I was expecting, it was 3,680 lbs!

Name:  img010.jpg
Views: 1680
Size:  57.1 KB

Since it weighed 3,740 the last time I went there, and the only things I've done to it since then is the recent replacement of the flywheel, clutch and cam, and I know the flywheel/clutch combo is only 22 lbs lighter than the stock setup... that means the new cam must weigh 38 lbs less than the stock cam. This is something I hadn't even thought of; I just assumed the cams would weigh the same. The new Comp Cams replacement included new valve springs, retainers and cam gears too so the new weight means it's 19 lbs lighter than the stock cam, springs, retainers and gear.

Going from 3,740 to 3,680 means 60 lbs of weight was removed from the engine when I did this upgrade which is great because not only is it rotating weight, it's also front-of-car weight which will help improve the weight balance front/rear. I'm going to have to weigh the old cam just to get a number but this was a great (and welcome) surprise! My overall project goal had been to get the car's static weight down to 3,700 and I'm now under that by 20 lbs.

With the new actual weight of 3,680 lbs my power to weight ratio is P/W = 3,680/468 =7.86. And that's with a full tank of gas. This means if I'm running with a 1/4 tank of fuel (as I would at the drag strip) which removes 84 lbs of fuel weight, my car (without me in it) weighs 3,596 lbs. That's a P/W of 7.68 which is not too shabby.

Blue Angel is here!!
1SS/RS LS3 M6 IBM

Last edited by Doc; 01-30-2012 at 11:13 AM. Reason: corrected wording
Doc is offline   Reply With Quote