View Single Post
Old 12-22-2008, 06:23 PM   #3
Inspector 17
I love crepes

Drives: 2017 ZL1 NGM A10
Blur, I have been there before and I have a couple of recommendations for you. First of all, I can't say at this time if you will be able to get credit and how much it will cost you. I can tell you that lenders aren't being as loose with their money as they used to be. So I would imagine you could get a loan, but you are going to pay for it. So, what to do about that?

When I was a young pup back in college, I got a credit card and because of some mail issues I went for 3 months without paying. They cancelled the card and it SCREWED my credit. So, I had to figure out a way to build some better credit. In your case, you have now so that may be even better. Since you have two years or so, you have some time to work with which will play in your favor. So, two things I would recommend:

1. Get a credit card and use it RESPONSIBILY. Meaning, charge some stuff on there, but be sure to only charge what you can pay off every month.

2. Find a local bank (best bet would be the one were you have your accounts with). Tell them that you want a one-year loan (or some other short term) for $1000 or a couple thousand. Tell them that you are doing it to improve you credit and that you plan is to take the money, put it into a CD for 6-months, then pay off the loan after 6-months or so. I had $1000 in cash at the time so they just put a freeze on my checking account for that amount as collateral.

At the end of the day, this will allow you to be your credit-worthiness. For me, it made a huge difference. The loan cost me a few dollars, but I made some of it back on the CD interest. The rest was the cost for me to re-build my credit.

Good luck!
Inspector 17 is offline   Reply With Quote