View Single Post
Old 08-26-2019, 04:27 PM   #2
ytown87

Drives: C6 Corvette
happened to me on my corvette few months ago...was told over and over i needed a new motor. I couldn't accept that and took spare time after work for a month to take the motor out and disassemble it. Had a spun rod bearing. Ended up replacing all my rod bearings, 1 rod, main bearings, and the crank. Got the crank cheap from a speed shop that had one laying around locally. This job wouldnt be that hard with a Camaro since the motor is easy to get out of the car. I did a few extra improvements while I had the motor out but if you can follow forum threads and youtube videos you could get by replacing:

-rod bearings
-main bearings
-oil pump (might as well go melling now)
-rod(s) if the bearing spun
-head gaskets (cometic)
-head bolts
-fresh oil
-fresh coolant
-gaskets

You'd be maybe $500-$700 out the door from the list above if you shop around right. Let me know if you decide to scrap the old motor. I'd be interested in buying it and rebuilding to have as a spare.

The guy from BMR racing also has a used LS3 for sale here on the forums if you want a motor thats done and turn key now.
2008 C6 m6. Carbon creations front/rear carbon fiber wodebody fenders. Carbon fiber hood carbon fiber roof hoop carbon fiber zr1 extreme spoiler. NW 102mm tb. Ported intake manifold. Cometic .040 head gaskets. LG motorsports G6x3 cam. DSX flex fuel sensor. AEM methanol kit. Z06 brakes. Ebiach sway bars. ZR1 rep wheels and Nitto Invo tires. Monster stage 3 twin disc clutch. MGW short shifter. Corbeau race seats. Gforce race harnesses. SLP loudmouth 2 mufflers. Carbon fiber exhaust tips. RPM stage 4 transmission and Stage 3 rear diff. 3.73 gears. Vararam cai. Kooks 1 7/8 headers and x-pipe.
ytown87 is offline   Reply With Quote