View Single Post
Old 02-28-2012, 11:53 AM   #6
jazznurse

Drives: 2012 ZL1;2011 Cruze
This is the reply I received from SCCA last fall:

Hi, Jim,

Let me start by saying, “Wow!” I’m not sure why a member of the North Hills Sports Car Club would send such an email to the SCCA. (However, it would have been nice if you had continued your SCCA membership.)

No one has requested the Chevrolet Camaro ZL1 to be classed for SCCA Solo events. So I’m not sure on what your understanding is based. I don’t think the Camaro ZL1 is even available at this time. The SCCA Solo Events Board (SEB) really likes to be able to physically see a new car model at a dealer before it gets classified, so it may be a while before anyone sees it classed in Fastrack News.

I also do not know of any production car that is not eligible to participate in SCCA Solo events. And certainly not because of the suspension. Now there are some cars that are not eligible for Stock category, but there are other categories in which to participate. There are various reasons for a “factory standard” car to be ineligible for Stock category. One reason could be availability (which will unlikely apply to the Camaro); another could be the sticker price (which I doubt applies either). Preventing a great number of car enthusiasts from participating in SCCA events would not be in the club’s best interests.

I don’t have a crystal ball, but yes, the SCCA plans to allow these cars. If production numbers are very low, the price is really high, etc. may be a factor in a decision. The Ford Mustang Shelby GT500 is in B Stock (BS), so I don’t see a reason to disallow the Camaro ZL1 from the sport.

The Corvette ZR1 is not eligible for Stock category mostly because the Corvette Z06 is very competitive in SS (Super Stock). Raising the bar on the “top” Stock class would probably have the SCCA membership (I can’t speak for North Hills Sports Car Club) up in arms without a major reorganization of the Stock category. And a lot of SCCA members are good with the classes as they are. (I’m not going to say all SCCA members are good with it because that will never happen!) The Corvette ZR1, however, is eligible for ASP – so a Corvette ZR1 driver technically would not be “forced” to the sidelines.

I’ll be glad to discuss this further.

-Doug
Doug Gill
General Manager
SCCA Technical Services
1-800-770-2055
www.scca.com