View Single Post
Old 05-17-2013, 07:09 PM   #5
newb

Drives: 2013 1LE
Track Day Brakes 1LE

Here is my take on brakes. And this is purely opinion from non-professional with far more track time on 2 wheels than 4.

The Zl1 and CTS-V have "better" brakes than the SS for 2 reasons.

1. The added weight of the supercharged LSA requires it to meet the capability of the lighter SS. The extra weight on the same SS brakes would result in longer stops and faster wear and warping of the rotors. Because of the extra mass they went to two piece rotors to help dissipate the heat generated by the larger calipers.

2. The LSA means the car has higher velocity down straightaways which also leads to the same reasons as above.

So bottom line is I believe the SS brakes are more than enough for the average guy in a 1LE on a track day. A fluid change and SS lines if you want better pedal feel and heat resistance and you should be fine. (Better pads when they are worn but not necessary before). I think the money for brakes could be saved and used for better things like lessons and track time. The driver mod is often the most important mod on any build.

With that being said, the ZL1/CTS-V brakes are better and more capable than the SS stockers. That will reduce braking distances and reduce fade. I just don't think they are necessary to be a good performing car.

One thing I learned from motorcycles is that late braking is great for competitive racing but not always the best for lap times. It will keep you from getting passed or help you dive underneath the guy in front of you. But that usually comes at the expense of corner speed and drive off the corner.
It's a Dingledarm. It's there to dampen side fumbling. If your marzelvanes fumble too much they can cause total protonic reversal. It gets ugly from there. This is really the biggest problem with the new Camaro. That and the tri-pronged blivot.

Delivered 21 Jan 2013

newb is offline   Reply With Quote