View Single Post
Old 07-18-2020, 11:21 PM   #102
rocknroll_jeph

Drives: 11 Camaro V6 RS, 03 BMW Z4
Yesterday was track day and I had a blast, only problem the car kept overheating so I needed to take a cool down lap a few times each session, but at least I got 4 sessions in and put down more than 20 laps. As always, the people at the track is what makes a great event. I am getting to know quite a few of the organizers and regulars but it is also nice to meet so many new people and even though we are different in so many ways, we can always find a common ground to talk and learn from each other. The community consists of all types, there was a 23 year old driving a Tesla Model 3, and it was his first time on the track and then there are those who's cars are fully caged and prepped and showed up in race suits, but everyone had smiles on their faces, and enjoyed the day sharing the love of driving.

As a driver, I can feel improvements from the last time I drove the Camaro on a track. I have a friend who used to drive professionally in Europe ride with me in the warm up session and he gave me some advice on the line (I improved my time 3 seconds since last time) and another guy I met yesterday who drives in F3 also gave me a lot of solid advice on setting up the car and reminding me to just drive smooth. In my group I had the fastest time, so I feel very good about that however, I had the most experience and we were just out there to have a good time. Everyone in the group made improvements every session so to me that is a win for everyone. The drivers in my group were some of the coolest and most down to earth people and even though we all met for the first time just got a long so well from the start.

One big surprise I had was the owner of a GTR asked me to join him for lunch, using his spoiler as a table. The food was just ok, but that was an experience I'll never forget. He did tell me that the whole car was wrapped and his shop specialized in vinyl wrapping so he wasn't concerned. Ever since I saw pictures of the GTR for the first time I have been in love with that car, so using it as a table was a real treat for me!

The track day wasn't without any problems. As I have mentioned before there, most tracks here in China don't adhere to standard safety briefings like I am used to in the states. In fact, yesterday there was no drivers meeting or safety lessons and a few people were first time track drivers.

It had rained the night before and when we arrived the track was still damp. Before the official event began, the organizers opened the track for driving on so that new drivers could get the lines and understand the layout. Unfortunately a driver in an very new Audi All-Road took it a bit too seriously and at the end of the long straightaway understeered his way into a tire wall... then through the fence and up onto a brick wall, knocking down a large section of the wall and balancing his car on the remaining wall. They called in a crane to lift the car off and hastily repaired the wall the best they could. Later in the day a new driver also missed the braking point on a tight U turn and pushed her (also very new and shiny) Mercedes AMG GLA into a wall. On that same corner a guy in my group experienced slight brake fade in his BMW M2 and went into the grass and got some red and white paint from the tire wall rubbed onto his bumper. At least there was only damaged egos and money can take care of the rest.

The new steering rack feels better than the old one and had no issues at all. Since the last time I was on the track I have put on fresh brake pads and installed the 4 point harness. Braking feel was excellent and I didn't cook the pads this time (last time they were smoking) and it was so nice to feel planted in the seat and not have to brace myself for while driving. However, like the last time I was out overheating was an issue that did put a damper on my mood.

I am thinking about first trying VP coolant in the radiator. If that doesn't work then I guess I will have to upgrade the radiator or add an oil cooler. The hood is already vented and I have taken off the engine cover so I don't know what else to do. If anyone out there has any solutions, I would be very willing to hear how other have dealt with cooling on the track.

Finally, social distancing and mask wearing... I know right now in the states Covid 19 is worse than it has ever been anywhere else in the world, but China has done such a good job of controlling everything that after the flair up in the market (which is on the opposite side of Beijing from where I live) it has already been 2 weeks since any reported cases within Beijing. Still, people tried to keep distance when possible. Most everyone had a mask and I was washing my hands as much as possible. Most everyone I talked to have mentioned that they have been tested recently and test results are returned under 48 hours so we all felt pretty safe and confident but at the same time, this seems like the new normal, no shaking hands when we meet someone new and keeping a distance when possible.

As always, I can't wait for the next event. After the first part of this year being stuck inside it is so nice to get out and play with my car. Oh, and I didn't put on sunblock... rookie mistake. I'm feeling that now...
Attached Images

rocknroll_jeph is offline   Reply With Quote