View Single Post
Old 12-07-2010, 10:43 PM   #239
Vic'sCamaro

Drives: Viper GTS, 680hp, Mustang GT
Erik-
You been around there in under 8? Kudos!

I have one single solitary lap there, in the Nurburgring DE Aston Martin, (370hp)driven by Andreas Gulden. We passed Sabine in a 500hp M5, really made his day! She's a really nice gal in person.

Anyhoo, I have to take issue with your claim that the GTR is faster in "real world conditions". Consider your words, where you state the Ring has the most varied and demanding collection of off-camber turns, on camber, decreasing radius, increasing radius, up hill, down hill, bumps, heaves and ripples, yada, yada, you know, in short, just the most "real world" conditions crammed into one single track. Whats more "real world" than the Ring? I think the only thing its missing is some of the cobblestone streets of London, and manure debris of India.

If you look at the production car laptimes on the Ring, you can see that the ZR1 trounces the GTR there.

Also, a major US auto mag recently did a test at Buttonwillow in California. The ZR1 was faster overall than the GTR, not surprisingly, but they also had a separate "cornering time", where they digitally extracted the straight sections away from the overall laptime, and the ZR1 and GTR were tied. All that Atessa full time all-wheel drive, computer controlled for yaw, pitch and roll, torque biasing, all that high tech gizmometry, and they could only TIE the ZR1 in the corners. Not exactly a magical car in the corners, that GTR. Or if you think it really IS magical in the corners, then so is the ZR1!

So the ZR1s dominance on the Ring over the GTR is not merely due to greater power, but also for a low center of gravity, reasonable weight, great brakes, and its magnetorheological shocks, so sophisticated that Ferrari sourced them for its much vaunted Fiorano 599.

I'd say that since the Ring very much represents the "real world", and since the ZR1 spanks the GTR on the Ring, that the ZR1 is the better performer in the "real world".

And I would also agree with one of your other statements, that the solid rear axle on the current Mustang would make it suck (relatively) on the Ring. Although it does well at VIR, where there arent so many bumps to upset it, when at the limit.

I guess whats really bugging me is that I dont have a lifestyle that allows me to do the Ring repeatedly. I live vicariously through your exploits!

Last edited by Vic'sCamaro; 12-07-2010 at 11:17 PM.
Vic'sCamaro is offline   Reply With Quote