View Single Post
Old 11-10-2018, 02:58 PM   #1
slickdave
My Favorite Camaro

Drives: 2013 ZL1
Vibration in Steering wheel

2013 ZL1. Owned since new, automatic. Never been in accident, or driven by anyone but myself. Problem started at about 30,000 km (18,000 miles) when the car was 33 months old and still under factory warranty, it does have a the most comprehensive GMPP extended warranty I could purchase when new so its still covered until June 2019.
I have a vibration felt in the steering wheel. On perfect pavement, I can start to feel it around 80 km or 50 mph but its minor. The vibration is noticeable around 65 mph and gets more evident at around 72 mph (and above), which is the exact speed which we drive the car on the express way (just under the radar, so to speak).
No vibration visible in the rear view mirror, but I have a cell phone mount that fastens with a suction cup on the windshield and the vibration is transmitted through it the same as the steering wheel.
New OEM tires and OEM wheels changed, at the same time the vibration was notice (now we know is a pure coincidence) since then tires have been force balanced no less than 8-10 times at 3 different locations.
I have a complete set of OEM rims with snow tires to drive the car in cold weather (also force balance 3 times). Regardless of which set are on the car, Vibration is exactly the same, so this is not a tire or wheel vibration.
Driveshaft, front hubs, front brake rotors (my cost) , upper and lower control arms have been replaced with no change in vibrations. Alignment has been checked twice. I believe they have gone through all, and any diagnostic checks (plugging in computer and not changing parts). Rear differential was changed in year one (before the vibration) when they couldn’t get rid of a whine in the rear end.
If you hold in 6th gear and apply full throttle, the shake is more violent. If placed in neutral, the vibration is still there.
Over the last 2 and a half years the car has been into 2 different dealers no less that a dozen times. It currently has 60,000km or 37000 miles, and will be out of warranty next summer. This is my daily driver in the spring summer and fall. Both dealers say they don’t know where to go from here. The "inference" from them is that unless they can identify a problem, they won’t get reimbursed from GM for their time spent to troubleshoot the problem.
Car is completely stock. I’m not sure if this is a ZL1 specific problem, or a Camaro problem. HELP please.
slickdave is offline   Reply With Quote