View Single Post
Old 10-16-2017, 05:45 PM   #5
Notilloc

Drives: 2015 Chevy Camaro SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by SS Performance View Post
I trailer the car to the track.

As I stated above the reason for the change is the tires are predominately for the track I don't autocross this car and it will see LIMITED street use. I have other tires for the street.

I looked into the Supercar 3's aren't made in the proper size for the 5th gen 1LE.
I brought up autocross tires because you were looking at the Bridgestone and as stated above it's all the rage on the autocross scene right now so I just assumed. The Michelin I have no experience with but it's on a lot of cars right now (Porsches) and I'm sure it's a great tire but for the money, I don't know why you wouldn't just go with an r comp and I highly doubt it's that much better than the Goodyear. Neither of the 888s have gotten good reviews with heavy cars, I had the 888 on an RX-8 and thought they were okay but I didn't love them, hard to explain but felt greasy all the time and the classic pain in the ass that r comps are known for when pushed to the limit. I don't want to mess with them with a 1000lb heavier car. The Nitto is kind of the gold standard of entry-level r comps. It's not as moody as most r comps but it still sticks quite a bit better than a street tire.

The supercar 3 comes in a 285/30/20 which is my current street tire but I used it as a street/track tire for a couple events and it was pretty good. I'd say it's definitely a pretty good chunk of why the new gen 6 1LE is quite a bit faster around a track than the gen 5. The size difference isn't that much, my speedo is off by 3 or 4 mph at 80mph and it did give me a little extra drive out of corners with the smaller diameter.

I don't know anything about your experience as a driver so it's hard to make recommendations or understand what "limited" driving on the street means because everyone is different. If I was to guess I'd say that you're still pretty new to high performance driving and I'd recommend a street tire because it's easier to learn on.

If you're seriously thinking of going to the Nitto or the Toyo just make sure that you have a track oriented alignment and lots of cooling to your brakes and race brake pads with Castrol SRF.
Notilloc is offline   Reply With Quote