View Single Post
Old 10-21-2012, 11:40 PM   #18
Mr. iNCREDIBLE

Drives: 2012 2SS/RS Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by CryoMan10 View Post
JohnMeadoo has my car as his signature! Pretty cool,

I am not complaining, i think most people are confusing my Rant.
Its the simple misguided fines that california puts in place.
Should the fine for doing 25mph over the speed limit be less than crossing a line?
I can answer my own question in the sense that most people get caught speeding, most dont pay anyways leading into a deficit of unpaid tickets. So please dont take my rant as i am mad that i got the ticket. I was simply putting the misguided fine amounts out there.

well remember the fine in of itself is not a fine but "bail" on the arrest, because in CA a traffic ticket is an arrest wherein you are released on your own recognizance and must pay the bail for the arrest, and that bail is a very small part of the total fee.

in california there is a 170% Penalty Assessment "Tax" on any criminal charge, be it a traffic violation or a loud party ticket at your house, or a burglary or homicide (yes California issues "fines" or "bail" amounts on criminal acts plus you or your immediate family are responsible to repay all charges associated with the arrest, from the police officers time to vehicle wear to jail processing to the cost of the jail uniform) ..

There are also a wide variety of other fees in California that are tacked on to the base fine and if the charge is a misdemeanor or DUI then there is a $100 Restitution fee also assessed.

Base Fine: Set by legislation and the Judicial Council of California.

Penalty Assessment: Penalty assessments are allocated for such items as court and jail facility construction and other items as noted below.

$10.00 per $10/base fine per PC 1464 goes 70% to State Trial Court Trust Fund; 30% to County General Fund.

$2.00 per $10/base fine per GC 76100 goes to the County Courthouse construction fund.

$2.50 per $10/base fine per GC 76101 goes to the County Jail Construction Fund.

$0.50 per $10/base fine per GC 76102 goes to County Automated Fingerprint Fund.

$2.00 per $10/base fine per GC 76104 goes to Maddy Emergency Medical Fund (State/County split).

$3.00 per $10/base fine per GC 70372.(a) goes to State Court Facilities Construction Fund.

$1.00 per $10/base fine per GC 76104.6 goes to the DNA Identification Fund (County/State split).

$4.00 per $10/base fine per GC 76104.7 goes to the DNA Identification Fund (County/State split). (First $1 per $10 effective on violations on/after 07/12/06; additional $2 per $10 effective on violations on/after 06/10/10; $1 per $10 effective on violations on/after 06/27/12.)

$2.00 per $10/base fine per GC 70372(a) goes to the State Court Facilities Construction Fund - Immediate and Critical Needs Account.

Night Court Assessment Fee pursuant to Vehicle Code 42006; goes to the State Court Facilities Construction Fund - Immediate and Critical Needs Account - $1.00.

DMV History fee pursuant to Vehicle Code 40508.6; goes to the court to offset cost of recording and maintaining defendants prior convictions of the Vehicle Code - $10.00.

Twenty percent Criminal Surcharge pursuant to Penal Code 1465.7; goes to the State General Fund. 20% is calculated on the base fine amount.

Court Security Fee pursuant to Penal Code 1465.8; goes to the State Trial Court Trust Fund - $40.00.

Criminal Conviction Assessment pursuant to Government Code 70373; goes to the State Court Facilities Construction Fund – Immediate and Critical Needs Account (assessed per conviction). - $30.00 (Misdemeanor); $35.00 (Infraction)

Citation Processing Fee per Government Code 295550(c); goes to the County - $10.00.

Emergency Air Medical Transportation Act Fee pursuant to Government Code 76000.10; goes to County Emergency Air Medical Transporation Fund - $4.00.

Parking Violations Processed by the court. These violations must be issued on a Notice to Appear and signed by the violator.- $3.00 per parking violation. Pursuant to SB 857 and Government Code 76000.3, effective 12/19/10; goes to the State Trial Court Trust Fund.

DMV Traffic Violator School Completion Certificate Fee. $3.00 charged per certificate. Pursuant to AB 2499 and Vehicle Code 11208(d), effective 09/01/11; goes to State Department of Motor Vehicles.

http://www.saccourt.ca.gov/traffic/h...alculated.aspx

so in the end a $100 speeding fine can cost $471 in total with all the fees.

And if you voted yes on any initiative or bills in the past 15 years you can hold yourself responsible for voting these fees and fines into law, as they are commonly tacked on the the back side of popular bills that the state knows will be approved, because they also know that the majority of voters do not read everything.. So you vote for more funds to our schools, but also vote in a 20% increase in traffic violation fines.