View Single Post
Old 08-14-2015, 03:16 PM   #34
Russell James

Drives: '15 SS 1LE, '69 Z28 drag car
Quote:
Originally Posted by IneedAZ View Post
I heard so many how the drag strip was bad...I wouldn't even think of going unless they had in writing they would prep the track better.
Track prep is a funny thing. They run 6/7 sec blown alcohol stuff there, so it can be prepped for plenty fast stuff. After everybody left Sat, that blown altered dragster made a second pass on the track after they had prepped it for the finals. Made a dead straight perfectly hooked pass. His earlier pass was a peddle fest.

At Indy a few years ago, it was prepped to competition level. Super uber tacky. They dragged and sprayed the entire 1320. Many broke axles, diffs, clutches... So there can be a downside to asking for the super duper prep. On slicks it was incredible. On street tires and an M6.... better go easy or parts will spill.

One thing I like to see at a track local to me on test and tune day is a street tire lane, and a fully prepped slick tire lane. Gives people the choice if they want some grip or super tacky. Keeping in mind... super tacky can rip your clutch out. It's really meant more for auto trans cars on slicks or DRs.

The street tire lane, you can drive around and back into the water or just go straight to the line. The lane is prepped by sweeping and dragging 1320. Light VHT spray 60 ft.

The slick tire lane. Big water puddle, scraped burnout pad. Brushed and dragged 1320 ft, heavy VHT spray 60 ft, light VHT the rest of 1320. And the starter keeps all street tire cars off that lane. Street tires ruin the prep.

That works great for a T & T day, but it really has to be explained. For eliminations best to fully prep both lanes. And by then people will be familiar with what to expect with the prep.

It works great where I run on T & T days. The announcer has to keep announcing.... Street tires left lane! But it really keeps the right lane in good shape for the cars on slicks or DRs.

Hell yeah on a repeat fest at Bowling Green!!!!
Russell James is offline   Reply With Quote