View Single Post
Old 03-03-2011, 06:18 PM   #59
OldJedi
Use the Force

Drives: 2015 Corvette Z51, 2018 Porsche GTS
Send a message via AIM to OldJedi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragoneye View Post
Interesting take on the situation...Here's my opinion, for what its worth...

The CTS is getting bigger.
The CTS will be on a long-wheelbase version of the Alpha chassis.
The CTS will still harbor a 'V' series model...
...therefore the CTS will still need a lot of freakin' power to keep it competitive.
The ZR1 Corvette will also continue in the next generation...

I think the chances of a forced-induction, moderate-to-high displacement Gen V smallblock is high, because the need for that sort of power will be there.

And if they felt like it...I think they could justify using this theoretical engine in a smaller 6thgen Camaro for a ZL1-on-steroids.
I wish I had the technical education to give an informed opinion, but I do not. My opinion comes strictly from a gut feeling and trying to read the trends the automotive industry is going. I think with the use of smaller displacement DI engines, they will go more with turbos than superchargers. With the CAFE requirements coming on so quick making the auto makers go smaller and lighter, turbos would be a lighter forced induction setup than a S/C. Unless some of the S/C makers are able to develop newer light weight/low mass units that are able to make the same power that the current units make.

Look at the LS7 engine. A powerful hand built 7 liter big block with no home other than the Z06 that will most likely get replaced with a smaller engine in the next Corvette generation. Everyone would like an LS7 for the coming Z28 track star but in reality there is really not much of a chance of that happening simply because of the engine cost. The current Corvette race cars with their direct injection engines make great HP and the billion dollars that GM spent to upgrade their engine plants show the most likely path that GM will take in the future.