Thread: End links
View Single Post
Old 07-23-2018, 09:36 AM   #5
Emoto
Sure, why not?

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS, Jeep JKU Rubicon
Quote:
Originally Posted by nasbagoat View Post
There is a GM bulletin to replace the nuts with a different style of nut and to use locktite.

Condition
Some customers may have a concern where they hear a clunk or rattle noise coming from the front of the vehicle when hitting bumps. This can typically be heard while driving at parking lot speeds and hitting imperfections or speed bumps in the road.
Cause
This noise may be caused by the front stabilizer bar end link nut(s) loosening up which may cause the stabilizer bar end link(s) to make a rattle noise. This can happen on either/both side(s) of the vehicle. This noise can easily be mistaken for a front strut and/or strut mount assembly noise.

CorrectionDealership technicians are to inspect the upper and lower stabilizer end link nuts for proper torque.
Note: To remove the end link nuts, first use an allen wrench or a hex socket to hold the internal shaft stationary. Then use a wrench to remove / reinstall the nut.

Front Stabilizer Link to Strut (upper) Attachment:
  • Remove the end link nut and discard it.
  • Replace it with a new nut (PN 11548382).
  • Tighten the nut to 89 foot pounds (120 Nm).
Front Stabilizer Link to Stabilizer Bar (lower) Attachment:
  • Remove end link nut and discard it.
  • Inspect and clean the stabilizer end link ball stud threads to make sure they are not damaged. Apply high temperature/high strength thread locker (PN 89021297) to the threads.
  • Replace the nut with a new one (PN 11548382).
  • Tighten the nut to 96 foot pounds (130 Nm).
I wish I could see the section on what those numbers apply to, but when I click, it says not authorized.

The reason is that unless I am mistaken, the different models (1LE, SS, ZL1) may use some different parts originally. I don't know if this bulletin applies ONLY to the 1LE or if it also covers others and the fix is that they all get the same parts? Sorry if this is off-topic.