View Single Post
Old 01-13-2009, 02:46 PM   #6
radz28
Petro-sexual

Drives: Ultra-Grin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver Streak View Post
Hi. What I would like to have is a breakdown, so I can have an idea of what to expect from this engine.
1st. Estimate on hp gain possibilities with out forced induction or internals

If you mean only bolt-ons, I'd say you'd probably top out close to 500 FWHP. Since we're starting a like 426 horse', I think CAI could be worth up to about 10-15 RWHP, LTs up to 30, catback up to 15, and a tune could fetch another 10-20. I think some of those guesses are a little optimistic but that's why I said up to. Even though a cam is internal, I'm sure you could eek a good 550 with a big thumper in there and bolt-ons. I know of a guy with an '02 SS, and with an MS3, Fast 90/90, balancer, and the rest of the bolt-ons, but down almost 440 RWHP. Stock long block except for the cam and valvetrain. I don't think almost 550 is too out of reach considering the heads and intake.

2cd. Estimate on hp gain possibilities with forced induction and no internals.

I'm going to venture a little more optimistic here - assuming bolt-ons and something like a 2300 SC, I think 600 will be a limit, with an excellent tune. I'm not sure that the motor would last too long at that level considering LSAs and LS9s in this general power range are running a lot of forged components (LS9) but they also have piston oil squirters too, not to mention upgraded head castings and, in the case of the LS9, bigger head bolts. Considering Magnacharger has a something-like 460 RWHP G8 with a catback and like 6-8 pounds of boost, that's close to probably 525 FWHP, so I don't think getting close to 600 is entirely out of the question, considering the more aggressive LS3 cam. Again, I'm not sure how long she'll live though...

3rd. Estimate on hp gain possibilities with internals done and basic bolt-ons, no forced induction.

I bet you could well exceed 600 FWHP here. Shoot - Katech is getting 640-or-something out of their Street Attack 427. Isn't GMPP releasing (or going to) a LSX454 with power in that general range, and that's with a lot of LS7-related components, all NA. I think 650 wouldn't be out of the question, but I don't know if you could live with that monster on the street.

4th. Estimated on hp gain possibilities with internals and forced induction.

I don't see why you couldn't go to 1000 horse. If you resleeve the block you could probably run past that number if you do it right. Wheel to Wheel have some awesome examples. If you run an LSX iron block you could get up to 2500 horse' safely so this one's up to your wallet and what you want to do.

I know this is alot, any help though would be much appreciated. I love the Camaro, but I am new to the whole 8 cylinder thing. I plan on modding and want to see how the different options might play out. Thanks!

Dave
I don't think the physics are going to change from your 4-cylinder. I think it will boil down to what you want out of the car and how big your wallet is. Really, the sky's the limit and I think you'd run out of street drivability before running out of potential for making power with these engines.

JMVHO.

'20 ZL1 Black "Fury"
A10, PDR, Exposed CF Extractor
Magnuson Magnum DI TVS2650R // RFBG // Soler 103 // TooHighPSI Port Injection // THPSI Billet Lid // FF // Katech Drop-In // PLM Heat Exchanger // ZLE Cradle bushings // BMR Chassis-Suspension Stuff // aFe Bars // Diode Dynamics LEDs // ACS Composites Guards // CF Dash // Aeroforce // tint // other stuffs
radz28 is offline   Reply With Quote