View Single Post
Old 12-30-2019, 11:03 AM   #48
ChibiBlackSheep

Drives: 2012 2SS/RS, 1968 SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElderJ View Post
I have the stock engine, though. Haven't touched it at all; even the stock air intake. Well, I added a catch can, but that won't affect anything. From what I'm reading, octane for the LFX seems to be contingent upon your mods.

I'm not a mechanic, but that's the advice I keep getting from them. Once I run this tank of 91 out, I'll switch over to 89 and think about putting some fuel treatment in there every 1k miles or so just for kicks.
The car has 2 timing tables built into the stock tune, high-octane and low-octane. If it detects knock, it will drop into the low-octane timing table, and if it still detects knock, it will continue to pull timing until the car doesn't detect the knock.

When I was data-logging my LFX, unless I was using 93 octane, the car was constantly knocking and pulling timing. A lot of the cells in the low-octane table were even in the negative timing. The car just doesn't look like it's running well on low-octane at all. Yes the table is there for you to run regular fuel, and you probably won't notice too much in normal driving without datalogs, but the car handles the higher octane so much better.

ChibiBlackSheep is offline   Reply With Quote