View Single Post
Old 12-30-2019, 11:14 AM   #50
Dragonman

Drives: 2015 1LT OBE
I just had a thought about this octane discussion.

First, let me state, I don't drive my car "hard" but I don't "baby" it either.

I ran 93 octane in it for 6 months starting right before CamaroFest 7. First 6 months I owned the car I put 93 in it then dropped to 87 until Camarofest. Did a mileage study for both 6 month periods and the difference was about 3/10s of an MPG. Been running 87 in it ever since Jan 1 2018.

My thought stems from a recent trip to NM, where the elevation is over 2K' and where I normally drive is a bit north of 500'. Car ran weak as hell in NM. Could it be the 87 tune is boogered up as if it is running at very high altitude, all the time? Admittedly, I know very little about tuning these cars so will defer to more knowledgeable members.

Still haven't decided which process to use to clean the intake on my car. Been reading good and bad things about chemical vs walnut methods for 4 years now. May just have to trust my mechanic to do whichever his preferred method is and do it well.

Hey Chibiblacksheep, Do you know if Overkill is still doing tunes for the 5th gen LFX? I got about another year to wait before I can install a custom tune but it might not be a bad idea to go ahead and get the tuner for logging.