View Single Post
Old 11-14-2016, 07:13 AM   #40
Norm Peterson
corner barstool sitter

Drives: 08 Mustang GT, 19 WRX
Found this thread from your Barber Motorsports track day video posts.

I understand completely the notion of basically leaving the engine alone for now. A tune with or without a "cold air kit" is fine, but I wouldn't go past that just yet. And for a car under development for use out on the road courses I'd neither have it nor recommend it any other way. Especially if someone is fairly new to the world of corner-carving, it's better to learn without the big HP as a crutch for running lower lap times (that in the absence of actual datalogging is generally taken as evidence of progress as a driver).

You really do need more front tire on wider wheels to properly address the understeer issue. Unless you're already limited by ground clearance needs or don't have a separate set of wheels & tires for the street, tires for your track duty don't have to be as tall as the car's OE street tires (and perhaps shouldn't be). Just wider. Your car, although lighter than an SS, is still heavy enough and still front-heavy enough to where the front needs as much tire tread on the ground as the rear. Not to mention that it's the front tires that actually get the process of turning started in the first place. Fine-tune the handling balance later.

Norm