View Single Post
Old 09-19-2020, 01:00 PM   #4
MartinLe

Drives: 2017 Chevrolet Camaro ZL1 M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by IntimidatorZ View Post
So I was just over my break-in miles and thought I'd try out the no lift shift feature with a highway pull. I was in 3rd gear going to 4th and was watching the HUD and waited until between 5,500 and 6,000 RPM, I swear I had it WOT (possible I lifted a slight bit as I was pumped up and it's typically counter-intuitive to mash the gas when shifting a manual car) when I shifted with WOT I noticed the shift lights go red (don't believe they were flashing and didn't hear any banging off the limiter sound but couldn't tell what my RPMs went to). When I shifted it sounded almost like a louder backfire (did see on an SS thread that it's normal during a no lift shift) but I noticed coming off the clutch pedal seemed very harsh, almost jolting, seemingly causing shock to the drivetrain which leads me to believe I must not have executed the no lift shift correctly. Was it possible I let off the clutch too quick during the shift causing the bucking action? Input greatly appreciated! Thought of turning on the PDR and trying again so I could review what's happening while trying to execute but gotta be honest, I'm a bit nervous to try it again lol!
First things first, the No Lift Shift feature on your car WORKS. It is an awesome feature and you will love it!

Your description, " but I noticed coming off the clutch pedal seemed very harsh, almost jolting, seemingly causing shock to the drivetrain" tells me you did "blip" the throttle just enough to not engage/disable the NLS feature. When I have used this feature, to me, it feels like an automatic shift. Of course, not as fast, but a smooth transition from the previous gear. Also, it has been my experience that our cars do not "bang" off the rev limiter like some of the imports. I have never kept the pedal mashed when I have hit the rev limiter, I always have let off on it. But it feels to me like someone just turned off the light switch. No noise, no nothing. Then I just shift into the next gear (with clutch and I'm already off the throttle) and carry on with pushing my car.

I'm sure that's not the best way to treat our cars, but I have gotten through it and she still "gets out of her own way" with no complaint.

This is how I do it. I hope this helps. The pedal is mashed to the floor (I almost stand on it). I watch the HUD and when it hits 6000, I stab the clutch and shift gears forcefully (the HUD tach lags a little, so you are above 6000rpm). I do not side-step the clutch, but I let it up as fast as I can. And as I said earlier, the shift is smooth - not kinda smooth, not a little smooth - it is SMOOTH and she just keeps on pulling.

Concentrate on your right foot and you will love it.
MartinLe is offline   Reply With Quote