View Single Post
Old 04-01-2009, 03:16 AM   #54
crazz28

Drives: '10 Camaro SS/RS, '10 GMC Sierra
Quote:
Originally Posted by whitestripes17 View Post
my dad has brought me home corvettes, roush, g8s to drive before and now he says i dont need it cause my mom doesnt want me in it he would get it for me but its always the mom
There's so much I want to say about this situation it hurts.
First off, I'd buy your mother a present or something with that money, she's just making sure you live past 18.
No matter what you say, the situational awareness of a 16 y.o. is below crappy. It doesn't matter if he brought you home an F1 car, that doesn't mean you're experienced. Those cars do whatever you want them to, that's not experience, that's just sitting in a nice car and making it move. I could give you my sunfire and a gravel road and I'd bet you'd be in the ditch within 10miles, and you probably wouldn't have hit the speed limit yet. I've seen it happen all around where I live, young kids that think they can drive but end up in the ditch or in other accidents, mostly with a friend or two in the car. You are 16, you get a couple buddies in a 426hp Camaro and it can only go downhill from there.
If I was you and I was getting a 20k gift, I'd tell my parents to put some into some mutual funds or something, and maybe buy a nicer used car with the rest. No use wasting a huge gift like that on a heavily depreciating LIABILITY, I don't even consider vehicles assets.

All that said, it's your life, and as much as I hate to say it, you can do whatever you want.

BTW, I'll write you a cheque now if you want, but the repayment plan is 10% monthly interest........cheaper than a credit card.....huh.....huh....maybe sleep on that one.