View Single Post
Old 10-25-2013, 03:22 PM   #13
Doc
Dances With Mustangs

Drives: 2010 1SS/RS MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by bowtie67 View Post
Are you sure, in '67 the car was not identified anywhere that it is a Z/28.
Quote:
Originally Posted by blazzin1 View Post
Do you say that just because of the emblems? Early '67 Z's did not come with any Z/28 badging. Or is there something else you're spotting?

Edit: I think bowtie67 is correct, even the early '68 Z's didn't have Z/28 emblems.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 90503 View Post
...Maybe '67 Z/28s were non-RS cars....?????
Quote:
Originally Posted by blazzin1 View Post
No, you could still order a '67 Z/28 RS (which would only be "badged" as a RS....as pictured). They are extremely rare cars!!! I'd take that '67 over the new one....just based on collector value.

If I remember correctly, the '67 Z did not have any Z/28 or 302 badging. And the very early production '68 Z's only had "302" on the front fender. They didn't start applying the Z/28 emblems until Jan 68.
I don't remember them having any badging on them, but apparently the prototype car introduced at Riverside Raceway in 1966 did in fact have RS badges on it. It must have been an extremely rare option because I don't remember ever seeing one and I lived near Riverside Raceway back then and was out there often watching races. We'd see all kinds of stuff running around on the streets in Pomona and Ontario back in those days. The Z/28 was a sleeper because it (usually) DIDN'T have any badges so people would think it was just the base model with no upgrades. They found out how wrong they were only after the light turned green lol.

Here's a link with some interesting back-story:

http://www.67z28.com/history.htm

Blue Angel is here!!
1SS/RS LS3 M6 IBM
Doc is offline   Reply With Quote