View Single Post
Old 02-07-2014, 08:09 PM   #1
rray

Drives: 2013 GAZ 2SS/RS
DIY: Run A Manual Trunk Latch Cable Around Your Sub Enclosure

Ever wonder how you will open your trunk if the trunk latch motor fails, and you cannot access the child safety latch? The only way I could think of doing
it is to stomp my sub enclosure out of the way.

I have searched for info on the web but have not found any aftermarket cables, but I did find that the convertible camaro has such a cable, because they cannot pull down the seat to access the child safety latch.

So I ordered the cable from GM Parts House, #20995417, and although my trunk lid does not have the same mounting holes, I was able to easily install and route the cable in under an hour after work today. An easy rainy day project that gives me peace of mind.

I slapped together a PDF on how to do it... Please excuse my crappy photos and ignorance at making professional PDF files.

Before I routed the cable to sit behind the seat I routed it outside the trunk and closed it. The trunk lid did not crimp the cable, it just fit fine, then I pulled it to verify it was easy to open the trunk. See the video:

http://youtu.be/UVldrKEH1Uw
Attached Images
File Type: pdf 5th Gen Camaro Trunk Manual Trunk Latch Mod.pdf (1.37 MB, 419 views)