View Single Post
Old 03-06-2014, 02:47 PM   #13
v8

Drives: 19 Z06
Quote:
Originally Posted by el ess A View Post
With used cars, it's still like new ones. Supply and demand. If people are getting rid of a lot of ZL1s and they end up on car lots, then prices will plummet because of market saturation levels, which basically dictates your depreciation. If a car is still hot items, depreciation is slowed. People stop buying the new ones, the used market falls, too.

But familiarity breeds contempt, and with markets getting saturated with ZL1s, it's not a stretch to buy a new one from a normal used price with the discounts many dealers are willing to give. This further suppresses used car prices to get that elusive sweet spot in the difference of the price of a new and used version.

It's not always the best method, but if you want to save some jack on a ZL1 and be reasonably confident that the car is still a good one, buying a low-mile used one from an original owner is normally a good bet. There's an excellent chance the car has been well taken care of and you still don't have to pay new car price.

But it won't have much of an effect with only 500 Z/28s to contend with this year. They already have problems selling. Hence the $500 cash back on ZL1s.
I agree, but I think the biggest factors are the Z/28's low production numbers (not enough to move the ZL1 market) and its price point. They are not close in price.

I guess its kind of like saying will the ZL1 push the price down on the SS's? I don't think it did.
2009 Mustang GT convertible
2012 45th 2SS Vert
2013 ZL1 M6
2014 Zl1 M6
2014 GT500
2016 Challenger Hellcat M6

www.youtube.com/c/garageking

v8 is offline   Reply With Quote