View Single Post
Old 07-18-2018, 09:23 PM   #25
Martinjlm
Retired from GM

Drives: 2017 Camaro Fifty SS Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by 90503 View Post
...Five years ago hybrid, all electric vehicles, weren't in the conversation much...?
This is where I have to be careful. I’ve been immersed in the world of hybrids, EVs, Fuel Cells, and fuel economy technologies so long that whenstuff shows up on the street, it feels old to me. As an example, the Porsche Taycan battery electric sedan will be introduced as an upcoming production vehicle later this year. I’ve been following it since Porsche showed the Mission E concept at the 2015 Frankfurt Auto Show. When it lands, it’ll seem “old” to me. I have to remember that most people still have no clue it’s coming. Or more relevant to this forum, there will be a Porsche 911 plug-in hybrid in the next gen.

Quote:
Now?...I would think EVs take a lot of "pressure" off meeting CAFE goals...?
They are more targeted to helping relieve the CO2 targets each automaker has to meet. They will, of course, average into the overall CAFE, but the credit scheme is more based on CO2 and other emissions reduction issues (environmental air quality vs fuel economy)

Quote:
I recall hearing Tesla and Musk are making a ton of money selling "credits"...??
Maybe not....Not sure....
Yup. I said that. Tesla earns credits with every electric vehicle they sell, but since they don’t make or sell vehicles with ICE, they never have the opportunity to use the credits themselves. So they are able to sell them on the open market. Companies that don’t make and sell enough hybrids, fuel cells, or EVs can buy credits from Tesla or other automakers to make up their shortfall.
A8 | MRC | NPP | Nav | HUD | GM Performance CAI | Tony Mamo LT1 V2 Ported TB | Kooks 1-7/8” LT Headers | FlexFuel Tune | Thinkware Q800 Pro front and rear dash cam | Charcoal Tint for Taillights and 3rd Brakelight | Orange and Carbon Fiber Bowties | 1LE Wheels in Gunmetal Gray | Carbon Fiber Interior Overlays | Novistretch bra and mirror covers | Tow hitch for bicycle rack |

Martinjlm is offline   Reply With Quote