View Single Post
Old 05-19-2011, 08:35 PM   #14
Alaskan SS

Drives: 2010 IBM 2SS/RS w/ M6, sunroof
Alaskan SS's Build

So I got my lighted bowtie from AAC. I figured I'd save some bucks and paint it myself. It didn't go too great, but I think I can fix the problem, or at least cover it up with some vinyl. First, I scuffed off the whole bowtie with some 200 grit, then I taped off the chrome. Then I sprayed on the adhesive promoter. and I tried painting the gold bowtie part a gloss black. The paint went on ok, but not great. I figured it would be ok. I added 2 or 3 coats, then the clear coat. After letting it dry over night, I removed the tape and taped off the bowtie part. Then I repeated the steps on the chrome outline, painting it IBM. After letting it dry, I removed the tape, and applied one last clearcoat to cover the whole unit. The lighting isn't the best in the pic, but I think the IBM went on great. But the last pic shows that the black bowtie part isn't smooth, almost like it's textured, and it puddled in a few spots. I think I used too much paint, or I was too close. Oh well, like I said, this is nothing some vinyl won't cover up...

Next up is to actually install it on the car. That'll be a couple weeks, though, as I am back at work (I work remote, 2 weeks on/ 2 weks off).
Attached Images

Alaskan SS is offline   Reply With Quote