View Single Post
Old 07-25-2012, 10:16 AM   #7
ihaveacamaro
I like teeth.

Drives: #198
Quote:
Originally Posted by FaytalsCamaro View Post
So this is the first manual vehicle I have had and to be quite honest with you I don't think I'll ever go back to driving an automatic. Anyways it's been awhile since I've stalled so I'm pretty proud of myself. Nice!

I do have some questions and hope to get some insight and advice from you vets though. Im just gonna list off some of the things I do and have heard and you guys can comment on them. Ok bring them on....

I ALWAYS take turns in second gear. Is it ok to take them in third? Or does it just depend on your speed? Yeah sure you can take them in third if you are going fast enough.

I USED to take off from a stop in second also to avoid the skipshift. But lately I have been going from First to Third, First to Fourth seems to bog down too much. That's perfectly fine, I've gone from first to sixth many times with no problems.

Rev Matching: How do I know the correct RPMs? Practice, practice practice

For example awhile back there was a thread here with a poll asking what everyones favorite gear. Most said third. So I tried it out on the highway. ( Cheese and Rice does it get up and go) But let say Im going about 65 on the highway in 6th. What should my RPMs be at before I downshift to third and go? Depends on the feel, which you will only recognize after doing the above response

When coming to a stop a always shift to neutral and cruise to a stop. Should I be downshifting through the gears to come to a stop? And when I'm at a stop I always stay in neutral till I'm Ready to go. Not necessary to downshift, if you do that you actually wear out your clutch a little since you're not gassing it. I've always shifted into neutral and then applied the brakes, no problems yet.

Any advice or comments would be greatly appreciated and thanks in advance!!!!
Hope this helps

Please check out my youtube detailing channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/roshan517

"When you want to succeed as bad as you want to breathe, then you will be successful."
ihaveacamaro is offline   Reply With Quote