View Single Post
Old 10-16-2012, 11:17 AM   #1
Deke736
COTW 12/3/12

Drives: 2012 Ashen Gray ZL1
DR Noob looking for advice...

Hey guys, I am a noob when it comes to drag racing and I am looking for some input. I have a 2012 ZL1 with an auto trans. I have been to the track a few times now and I am pretty much addicted. I am not looking for any power mods yet, just working on trying to harness the power I already have. I am nothing more than a weekend warrior having fun, but I want to get the most out of my car.

A little history, my best run so far is a 12.78 @ 114.27MPH. My 60' time on this run 2.131 (my PB is 2.106). This was on stock tires. I have found through trial so far that a little burnout is necessary to get the water off (there is no way to avoid the water completely at my track) with PTM 5 in Sport mode.

After thinking about my recent runs with this setup, I am wondering if I am launching in 2nd gear instead of 1st? I drop to "S" and do my burnout and then roll up to the stage line and launch at about 1200 RPMs. I had very little wheel spin on every run but the one where I changed up my launch methods (no burnout, PTM 2 in "S" mode, 1200 RPM launch).

I just ordered some Nitto NT05r DR's yesterday (305/45/18) along with some 18" C6 Grandsport wheels (18x9.5 w/ 40mm offset) which should all be here later this week.

I was also thinking about getting a line lock.

Based on the above info, with the new DR's how should I stage? How long of a burnout do I need? Is the linelock necessary? I assume it will help save my brakes and wear on the components. What RPM should I launch at?

Is there anything else I should be doing that I haven't mentioned?

Your thoughts and input is appreciated! Thanks in advance!