View Single Post
Old 04-27-2013, 07:47 PM   #1896
Briand069

Drives: 1997/1969 Camaro's
So I did this mod today and I will say I am very happy with the results! I also did the 2012 dash upgrade since I was pulling it out anyways. A few things I notcied along that way that may help others.

-The top center bolt under the defrost grill is a PAIN in the A**! Getting out was pretty easy, putting it back was hard. I finally used the right combo of wobble extensions and duct tape on the bolt head to work it in. Also, DON'T FORGET to tie a string on the light sensor plug and pull it through wihile putting the dash in.

-I didn't see it in the guide but don't forget to pull the headlamp switch out before pulling the dash out.

-The battery bolts at least on my car were 10mm.

-The clock spring was my biggest worry. The guid doesn't say to remove it but the picture shows it gone. I tried to remove it but the bottom plug wasn't coming off so I left it on place and tapped it so it couldn't rotate. Also, I watcehd a youtube video on resetting it and checked mine before I mountedthe wheel.

-The guide has you leave a black plastic piece of the dash under the steering wheel installed also this is what the fuse box mounts to. The new dash had this already so I removed mine with the dash so you have to removed the hood latch and OBDII connector first.

-I took the time when reinstalling to polish the gauge cluster screen and radio screen while they were out which made it very easy.

-According to the Alldatadiy guide the passenger airbag is not supposed to be removed from the dash. I did it anyway. I used a screwdriver and gently pried the plastic away from the tabs holding it in on 1 side. Once they were all off it came right out. The connector sucks, just take your time on it.

I think that covers it. Also, for most of the screws/bolts I just screwed them back in where I took them out from. For the ones that I couldn't do that with I wrote on an index card what they were for and out them on top in order of how they came out.
Really, it isn't that hard. The result it very good. The larger MPH font looks very good, the smaller fonts have a slight ghost but not bad at all. Also depends on how you sit I notcied. Also, not sure if in the factory HUD cars this happens but when sun shines directly on the dash the HUD reflects on the window and makes it alittle harder to read but otherwise daylight reading is fine.

Brian