View Single Post
Old 11-22-2011, 04:49 PM   #7032
JusticePete

Drives: Camaro Justice
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShnOmac View Post
It was dipped and very tasty!

I may have to see if I can find that blend and TRY and make my own....
The key is good beef. We are so time pressed we rarely cook a tenderloin of beef Italian style. Boar's Head out of the deli counter works well.

I learned to cook from my grandmother and mom. They never measured anything, except in the palm of the hand. I cook the same way. It drives my wife nuts because she wants exact measurements. What we are making is an aromatic, robust Italian au juice. Add a little at a time and you'll get it just right.

In a mid size pot add once can of beef consume' and one box of beef stock.

Seasonings:

Fresh Basil Leaves, tear or chop them into small bits. It helps bring out the flavor if you wake Basil up with a little rubbing before you tear or chop.
Anise Seed, grind them to a pepper like consistency with a mortar and pestle.
Fennel Seed, grind them to a pepper like consistency with a mortar and pestle.
Fresh Garlic, use a garlic press over the pot. Use the juice and pulp.
Fresh Ground Pepper
Celery Seed, grind them to a pepper like consistency with a mortar and pestle. Not too much.
Kosher Salt, as needed.

Cover the pot and simmer for an hour. Let the pot coil a bit then add the thinly sliced beef. Tear the beef into smaller pieces. We just want to warm the beef. If the beef discolors quickly and becomes tough the au juice is too hot.

Buns are the hardest part. Try to find an Italian style bun with a light to medium crust. The heavy artisan style breads are too tough. No whole wheat or sweet wheat. The buns have to be a salty dough style. If the buns are packaged in plastic bags, freshen them in an oven pre-heated to 400. It doesn't take long to crisp them so they feel and smell like fresh bread.

Slice the bun length wise about 80% of the way. Fill with tender beef. Quickly dip the sandwich. Too long and it will fall apart. Not long enough and it won't be the right consistency. Spoon on the giardiniera along with oil from the jar. Wrap in wax paper and let it stand for 5 minutes.

Enjoy!

Last edited by JusticePete; 11-22-2011 at 05:06 PM.
JusticePete is offline   Reply With Quote