View Single Post
Old 02-28-2017, 11:30 AM   #19
OminouSS

Drives: Red Hot track candy
Quote:
Originally Posted by ban25 View Post
I assume this was at the SpeedSF event on the 20th? I was registered, but skipped due to the amount of rain that day. Hard to tell from the video, but if it happened right as you crested the top of the hill, that's pretty scary I'm sure.

I had a similar experience at ACS two years ago. It happened while braking from 140+ to turn off of the oval onto the road course. The issue was a bad wheel bearing that caused the wheel speed sensor to fail and then ABS. Very scary. Hope you figure it out!
It was NCRC on the 18th. The very weekend every hwy and county road in had closures from mud slides and downed trees. It was not a dream weekend. Slipperiest surface I've run on to date. 10 spin offs in turn 3 in first cup and open sessions alone plus random spin offs everywhere else. Managing ZL1 horsepower was a challenge. I was fortunate to keep all four on pavement. I switched to my MPSS's which likely helped but are just not great track tires. I also got a meatballed for sound at 96db, therefore I had to short shift 2 gears and run the hill in 5th gear coming out of 5. You want to talk about frustrating...work a couple passes only to watch them flip you off up a hill you can't lay into.

But yeah, this steering thing really freaked me out bad. It was just feet before the crest so I had no time to game-plan it before the car unweighted. It's like one second I'm being steered towards the wall and then a fraction later it's steering me the other direction and light as a feather. It wasn't drastic, but it was that floating sensation where you have very little steering input. It was just the exact wrong part of the track to have it malfunction. You know what I'm talking about... That spot it scary when things are going perfect.

I don't want the problem to be complicated but I have to be honest in that I will be disappointed if it is something they knew about in the Gen5. Seems like a safety issue...but I ain't gonna speculate. GM did right on this car. We'll get it ironed out.