Thread: Camaro VS 370Z
View Single Post
Old 04-28-2009, 09:37 PM   #54
Wesman

Drives: Trans Am
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phenix View Post
Calling the VQ a pile of crap is a real stretch. It's mad the Ward's 10 best engines list every year the list has been done. Now it is true that a lot of Nissans and Infinitis have engines with the name "VQ35" but trust me, they are not the same. Nissan just likes to confuse people by naming all the engines the same, probably so they can say its the #1 selling engine. Only some reviews say the VQ37 is harsh up top, but its mostly attributed to the exhaust system. And one of the worst sounding engines? It's no pushrod V8, but it is one of the better sound V6 engines out there. But engine sound is subjective anyway

BTW, although I drive a Z right now I'm not here with the purpose of defending it. I'm awaiting a 2SS.
I've never been impressed by the VQ and I've been in plenty of them.

VQ is the engine family - the are all the same block, as well as the majority of engine components.

The VQ37 is most definitely harsh up top, and its not due to the exhaust system. Its due to the engine's natural imbalance, being that its a V6. So the vibrations get transmitted into the car in the form of NVH in the steering wheel, pedals, and shifter. Its very unpleasent by 7,000RPM, and actually quite embarrassing for a car that costs almost $40,000.

The reason other V6's (GM, Ford, Chrysler) don't have this issue is because they use balance shafts in their engines to smooth them out.