View Single Post
Old 10-24-2013, 11:24 AM   #33
Infinite-T

Drives: 2011 1LT RS RJT
Quote:
Originally Posted by 45thCamaro View Post
I am a union plumber, after my apprenticeship I was laid off (I saw the writing on the wall). I got laid off about a week after I had gotten engaged. I have an apartment that i have a mortgage and maintenance bill on (it's a co-op). I was out of work for 10 1/2 months with the union. I had picked up a job working for a gym equipment refurbishment company. The owner was a POS. I had to chase him everyweek. The job started 5 mins from home and he moved further out. I told him I would come along until he offered Me an extra 100 buck for gas each week (my jeep was a pig on gas). While I was working for him I went back to school and finished my degree in criminal justice. I quit that job because the owner was trying to d*ck me out of money. I went back to work about a month after that. Even still since then work is inconsistent. I bought my Camaro while I was out of work. I wanted an SS so bad, but the payment would have been around 500-600 a month. And being engaged with a wedding to pay for plus everyday bills hurts. I had to stay in budget. The only reason I bought my car when I did was because my jeep still had value, and it was the only way I would have been able to buy my Camaro. I do small jobs on the side, I fix computers, do home repairs, mount TVs etc. Plus I do security a few places as well. I'm trying to get a job on the police force, anywhere that will except me, I need something steady because my wife is now pregnant due with our first
In May-June. It sucks being out of work. I hate it, especially when everyone else you know is working. I sit in the house and try not to go anywhere to not spend $. I was fortunate enough to pick up a heritage grill from a member here last week that I installed yesterday. I had to get out of the house, working on my car helps me get through it, but is difficult without funding.

I feel your pain brother. I am an IBEW Wireman (commercial electrician). When I was an apprentice from 2006-2010 things weren't too bad. Even after the 2008 crash, I stayed pretty busy. I turned out december of 2010. Then got laid off May 2011. Then had work from Feb '11 thru Sept '11. then off again til feb '12, then on, then off again, etc etc. It is a huge drag sometimes. I spent nearly 5 years of school and work to learn a trade. I work HARD, I am no slacker and I do good work. Not to blow my own horn at all, but I have always been much liked and praised by my coworkers and supervisors. But being much liked doesnt help much when the project is over and there is nothing left to do. I enjoy the trade a lot, and love what I do. But the feeling of "will I have a job after Friday" constantly looming over your head is a very difficult thing to get used to. I HATE not working, it is boring, depressing, degrading, etc. So despite the obvious house/yard work, I help family and friends with things, tinker with my hobbies, games, and very important, try to get out of the house even for just a half hour a day so you dont get cabin fever. It is harder during the winter because of the weather.

To all who have gone through this, are going through it, and will go through it, keep your chin up, believe in yourself, do what you do and dont let the world get you down. You will be OK. Be smart with your money when you are busy so that if an when you are out, you arent over stretched financially. Especially for us tradesmen (and woman) who just go project to project, or sit at home when there are no projects to go to.. The skilled trades are one of the hardest hit by this crash and is still lagging very behind in the recovery, especially area to area.

Keep the faith, keep your chin up, and if you are lucky enough to have one of these bada$$ Camaros in your garage, make sure you enjoy it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Synner View Post
If you'd rather drive a civic that eats your soul than a camaro that eats your wallet then thats your choice.
Infinite-T is offline   Reply With Quote