View Single Post
Old 02-28-2013, 12:00 PM   #12
SummoneR
Paul

Drives: '10 2SS/RS M6 "Marauder"
Send a message via Yahoo to SummoneR
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2011*Camaro*SS View Post
Its the great people like you that remind me there is still hope in humanity. It seems like everyday I see people with nothing better to do than bash on others.

Yeah most of the backup camera is plug and play but you do have to splice once into a wire on the drivers side of the car under that black piece above the tail lights (to draw power) I used a splice connector so I don't see how that would have cut the wire but I have everything electrical taped closed so I wouldn't be able to see. It was weird that they both went out seeing as they are on different connectors (I think) if I remember right the left light is connected to the left tail light and the right to the right. If everything is fine, and I have to take it to the dealer are they going to try and give me crap for having aftermarket tail lights and a non-factory backup camera? I can see it now...Driving 30 miles then getting there and them not doing anything because the lights/camera are not factory.
Haa no worries.

Those splice connectors use a cutting action to cut into the shielding to make contact with the wires inside, it's actually one of the worst ways to connect wires because it can actually cut the wire itself. Which very well could be the problem. You would think with it being such a tight connection though it would flicker some, but you never know.
I recall a single harness that ties back into the body harness?. They had individual plugs on the back of each light but then the main plug into the body? I don't recall 100% OR they connect through the rear tail lights harness as you recall. In which case, yes there are two separate harnesses one for each side. Sorry I forget, it has been a little while since I've had it off.

Did you do the install? If so I would trouble shoot it yourself. Take the bumper off and unwrap your wires and investigate before you take it to the dealer. Also do a quick swap on one of the light and see if it work if not then it's a wiring issue for sure.

The dealer shouldn't have an issue with the rear lights, but they might with tapping into wires. I know when I installed a remote start on my Camry they told me it could possible affect the warranty. The thing with that, is that they have to prove it was the lights that caused the issue.