View Single Post
Old 04-07-2012, 11:45 AM   #7
camaro_RS
Emerald Coast Camaros

Drives: A lot of show, not much go.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Todd@Autopia View Post
Is the finish Powder Coated or Clear Coated (Painted?)....

Powder Coat is strong durable stuff, but even long term exposure to acids can cause it to dull (and Powder Coat is very difficult to polish).

While I would love to sell you a product (we carry 70 of the highest rated brands on the market) I think a home remedy is likely going to work well.

Get some rubbing alcohol(make sure it is Isopropyl and not Denatured) and dilute it so it is approximately 30% alcohol and 70% water. The extact dilution you use is going to depend on the strength you buy. Isproply is usually available from 40% to 91%.

Mist it onto the gunk and agitate with a soft terry cloth or junk terry cloth. Then wipe off. It may smear at first, but stick with it and after a couple of applications it should be gone.

Some of the store bought tire dressings are solvent based silicons. They literally build a layer of junk on the tire and wheel that usually holds all the brake dust (so it browns) and is very difficult to remove.
I'm not sure if they are powder coated or clear coated. They are the IVS Havoc black chrome wheels. I'm guessing clear coated but I'll have to check up on that to be sure. I do have some isopropyl so i may try that first. If it doesn't take it off I may try to get some WD40 like the guys below me said. Thanks a lot for the info!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atti2de View Post
Gasoline or WD40 works well....
Thanks for the input, man. I may try the WD40.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nytrorcr View Post
WD40 deals with most problems safe on just about anything
Sounds good....because I may have been worried it would be too strong or something but a couple of you guys agree with the WD40 so I'll definitely feel more comfortable with it now. Thanks, man.

camaro_RS is offline   Reply With Quote