View Single Post
Old 01-27-2015, 01:46 PM   #28
abaucom21

Drives: 2011 2LT White, 1966 TBird conv.
Last year read a very interesting Blog on Hemming's regarding rust, chemical salt reactions, etc. Rust will start to take hold around freezing...colder like the zub-zero temps I experience here in Canada not much of an issue. So I get the car washed including undercarriage a few times during winter months when temps get close to 32 F ('0' C). Apparently the salt will cause rust issues when the temp remains above freezing, not much of an issue below freezing. First week when I realize daily highs might be above freezing (March?) I go to a coin car wash & power wash every nook I can reach as the full service car washes don't really clean all the hard to reach spots.

I also had a detailing shop do a quality paint sealant first year I had the car and it is fully detailed / waxed etc. each spring. Also get it Krown rust treated each year. This is my 3rd winter as a daily driver and so far no rust issues. When I had the auto on the lift last Nov. for its annual inspection & fluid change, before the first snow fall, undercarriage still rust free.

When I moved from Texas to Canada in 2003, had a 1996 Sebring LXI coupe bought new. Before 1st winter in Canada had it Krown treated and continued annually until I traded the Sebring at 96,000 miles for my Camaro summer 2010. The Sebring had zero rust after multiple Canadian winters as a daily driver.
abaucom21 is offline   Reply With Quote