View Single Post
Old 08-03-2010, 10:32 AM   #1
alfie43

Drives: S/C 2SS/RS Camaro-6M-VicRed
Send a message via ICQ to alfie43
The New and Improved Hurst Shifter

After many months, GM's constraint on the Hurst Shifter Option has been lifted. It was with good reason that GM held the shifter on constraint until now. The current aftermarket Hurst did not meet their specification requirements in terms of lever effort. There are some here that are satisfied with their Hurst shifter, but there are many more like me (and caverman) that found it to be sub-standard by the amount of lever effort required to shift.

Yes, it is positive; you always know what gear you are in and it has a much shorter throw, but it is notchy and too stiff to move in and out of gear.

I talked to a GM Project Manager this past weekend at the Gratiot Cruise; the warm up for the Big One; The Woodard Dream Cruise in Metro-Detroit. He said their tests verified that the throw reduction on the Hurst also reduces the mechanical leverage, resulting in too much effort to shift. Therefore, the new GM approved Hurst shifter will have less throw reduction to correct that problem.

I used to drag race with Hurst shifters years ago, mostly using the legendary Hurst Competition Plus Shifter. Full throttle power shifts at 7500 rpm (302 small block) was the norm. There were no rev limiters to protect your engine back then....miss a shift, lose the motor, i.e., valves hit pistons, pistons push back....and they all step outside to settle the matter.

Those Comp Plus units had good positive movement, but the hallmark of those older Hurst units was their slick and silky smooth shifting. This aftermarket shifter for the 2010 Camaro is not in the same league. I am disappointed in mine. Again, try shifting a Competition Plus Hurst and see what a performance shifter should feel like.

To those of you that want the shorter throw, I caution you to try one out before you buy the aftermarket Hurst. There are plenty of them out there at any local cruise and car show. I see Hurst shifters in 5th Gen Camaros every week, but you won't see one on my car much longer.

The current aftermarket Hurst reduces the factory throw by 44% and I understand the new GM approved Hurst has a 22% reduction. I have a new MGW shifter that was delivered last week. It has about a 30-35% throw reduction from the stock unit. I may wait and see how the "new and improved" Hurst plays out before I make another shifter change.

Alfie

Last edited by alfie43; 08-09-2010 at 04:50 PM.
alfie43 is offline   Reply With Quote