View Single Post
Old 02-20-2011, 09:33 PM   #1
redZ28

Drives: 2013 ZL1 Conv.
retrofit success: GM mirror with backup camera LCD and Onstar

I recently purchased a GM mirror with the LCD display (and Onstar) off of eBay, and installed it last night. The mirror was a take-out of a 2011 Acadia. I am happy to report that all works (both Onstar and the backup display)! I am not terribly impressed with the Boyo license plate camera video quality, but I hope to have it replaced under the Boyo warranty.

I spent ~2 hours installing the camera and running the wires up to the mirror. I had to replace the plug for the mirror, which meant cutting each wire from the stock mirror 10-pin plug and soldering to the new mirror's 16-pin plug, which took another hour. Interestingly, the wire that registers +12v when in reverse is already in the stock 2011 Camaro SS/RS plug.

I had an initial fear that the mirror with LCD display would be too big, but the observed difference when sitting in the car is actually negligible. I was also worried that the LCD display would be too small to help, but I love it! I of course still have to use the outside mirrors for backing, but the camera definitely makes backing much easier. I really believe that having the camera display will prevent what would have been future backing collisions!

The key to success: the eBay seller from which I purchased my mirror is an expert in these mirrors, so he told me how to do the wiring. If you want to go the same route, I would definitely encourage you to buy from him (his eBay ID is copper_z71). He just asked me about my current setup (auto dim, onstar,etc), then told me how to wire the new mirror.

The only warning, be sure to lengthen the wires enough (by not trimming too much of the new mirror's wiring harness) to account for the different plug location on the new mirror. I was lucky to have just enough wire length after soldering. Also, the old plastic pieces that cover the wires behind the stock mirror will not transfer directly, but the upper piece can still be used if you can find a way to effectively attach it.

Attached (hopefully) will be some pictures that compare the stock vs new mirror, pictures of me doing the wiring, and the working final product.
Attached Images

redZ28 is offline   Reply With Quote