View Single Post
Old 06-19-2015, 06:56 AM   #9
ihaveacamaro
I like teeth.

Drives: #198
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe M 2012 2SS View Post
ONR contains polymers which bond to the surface. I'd use an IPA mix after the clay bar just to be sure to remove any ONR, Old wax or sealant the clay bar didn't remove, and clay lube that's left on the surface, the cleaner the surface is prior to polishing, the better the polish and pad will work.

Edit. I shouldn't have used the word "cleaner", Naked would be a better word, the clearcoat has nothing on it that will come between your polish and pad.

Wal mart sells 91% alcohol for around $2 a 16 oz bottle, mix with distilled water 50/50, they sell this for $1 a gallon. If you don't have a sprayer to put it in they also sell 32 oz sprayers for around $3.

I would pick a section that has the most swirls, do your Rinseless, Clay bar, IPA wipedown in only that section, and then polish just that section. If your results are satisfactory, continue. If not as already mentioned you'll need to go more aggressive. No sense to prep the whole car if the pad/polish isn't getting desired results.

I would drop the ONR before sealant and replace with IPA wipedown as well.
I'm sorry Joe, but I really have to disagree here with you. After claying, using IPA is a waste of time. Skip it and go straight to polishing. Neither claying nor IPA will remove 100% of any wax or sealant on the surface, so don't even bother with IPA. It's an unnecessary extra step that adds time and complexity that isn't beneficial.

Please check out my youtube detailing channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/roshan517

"When you want to succeed as bad as you want to breathe, then you will be successful."
ihaveacamaro is offline   Reply With Quote