View Single Post
Old 06-19-2015, 04:13 PM   #12
ihaveacamaro
I like teeth.

Drives: #198
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe M 2012 2SS View Post
I've seen Larry Kosilla (Ammo NYC), Kevin Brown, Matt (CD07), and several other professional detailers mention using this step either before polishing, or before your LSP.

I have always been curious of the actual benefit of it, as the only prior use of IPA for me was when I worked compounding creams and ointments. It was used for sanitization of blending tanks, pumps, hoses, packaging equipment, etc. after they had gone through a validated cleaning process. I'm sure being in Dental Medicine you are aware of the process of validation, I'm not sure car products or chemicals used to clean are actually put through the same process.

I have just used this based on recommendation of professional detailers. However I do trust your opinion, or in this case could be fact instead of conjecture. (Did you do a swab test or something similar on a panel wiped down with IPA that had wax/sealant on it to determine if it had been removed?)

I certainly wouldn't want to give anyone bad advice, but being so many pro's support this method, I figured it had to be beneficial. I have used it religiously, but I don't have any concrete proof (scientific testing) that it actually does what's suggested.

I also realize many supported Dawn wash for strip wash, and through your tests you were able to determine that it actually doesn't remove LSP's.

So if you have tested it, and have the proof that it does not remove sealants or wax, I'd remove it from my normal use before polishing, and before LSP.
I think it's a good idea to emulate great detailers like you mention, but in the detailing world everyone (including those guys) does stuff without necessarily testing the validity.

Also, I don't think it's bad advice, just unnecessary. It won't make a difference.

I have tested whether it removes wax or sealant and that answer is no, it does not. Is it possible that it removes a little from the surface, sure. But does it remove it all, the answer is no. IPA can not reasonably be used to clean a surface entirely of wax or sealant.

Please check out my youtube detailing channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/roshan517

"When you want to succeed as bad as you want to breathe, then you will be successful."
ihaveacamaro is offline   Reply With Quote