View Single Post
Old 07-09-2017, 05:48 PM   #12
PRAY

Drives: 2016 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by JusticePete View Post
Folk, it isn't a helmet. It is a container to protect your brain. Your brain is all you ever were and all you ever will be.

Everyone races on a budget. Everyone. Some budgets are bigger than others, but everyone races on a budget. In our shop we have five top priorities for client builds.

#1 Driver Safety (Helmet, HANS & Harness)
#2 Driver Safety (Brakes, Wheels, Tires)
#3 Driver Safety (Life and Death Nut and Bolt Check)
#4 Driver Safety (Cage & Fire Suppression System)
#5 Fast Car

Arrange 1 - 4 in most any order, but fast car modifications are always LAST, waaaay behind driver safety.

Buy the best SA helmet you can afford. The lighter the helmet, the easy it is on your neck while driving or in the event of an incident. I hope it turns out to be the same as an umbrella is for me. When I have my umbrella I rarely ever need to use it.

BTW -- One last thought. None of the passenger safety systems in a modern muscle car are designed to be of real safety value at any speed in excess of the legal speed limits and certainly not at triple digits. Please keep that in mind.
Don't take any safety advice from me please. I am not as they say, "risk adverse". I literally have over a thousand patrols and a hundred gun fights and the majority of those all I had was my beard and ball cap to protect my head.

I still stand by my earlier statements about the rules and modern cars but don't want to argue.

You did bring up a great point though. Brain injuries suck ass. I have solid brain damage from TBI's and it is a life changer. I would consider mine minor compared to a bunch of my guys that were put out for it or are so bad that they can't put them out till they recover a little more. After a head injury NOTHING is the same. So please, don't be like me. Do everything you can to protect and preserve your brain health. If that means wearing a helmet in your Honda to go to Walmart cause it is a sub 14 second car, then it is worth it. I wouldn't wish this crap on a broke leg dog.