View Single Post
Old 10-19-2017, 02:10 PM   #5
hrpiii
AKA "Beefcake"

Drives: 2023 ZL1 Sharkskin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Notilloc View Post
Just curious, why not have a street wheel/tire and a track wheel/tire? Cheap cast wheels are fine for the street, then use the forged wheels for the track? This way you don't have to compromise at all, you can have a street friendly tire and a more aggressive track tire.
Well, I do have Summer and Winter tire sets, but we drive all over for HPDE tracks, they are not local. I have my winter tires on my OEM wheels and swap those out for winter driving (the car is not a DD). So a 4 hour drive to a track, in potential wet conditions on a TRACK tire would be dangerous. So I guess I am looking at a HP tire that can do well in wet conditions, not necessarily in COLD conditions. I have Continental DWS for my winter setup. I don't mind a little compromise and would love to have a set of ONLY track tires, but not possible based on traveling to different tracks and needing to pack all those tire and gear along with clothes to stay overnight.

Quote:
Originally Posted by frenchsquared View Post
18's give you the most tire options at the best cost. 19's are limited and cost more.

I agree with 2 sets of wheels. I get 4 days out of a set of track tires. There are no GREAt track tires that are also GREAT in cold weather or wet weather. It just doesn't work that way.

I am going to run RE-71's as my street and track tire. I will then use R7's from time to time to show off on the track.
How do you guys haul a set of wheels to HPDE or Auto-crossing in your Camaro? Don't be all like, trailer it..not gonna happen. Heck, just packing for a weekend with clothes and tools fills up the car, couldn't imagine trying to get 4 full tires in this car and being comfortable. Now if the track was in my backyard (local), I could easily do this.

When you say 19's are limited and cost more, are you talking tires? I never considered 18's, will have to think about that a little bit more. Appreciate the help guys.
hrpiii is offline   Reply With Quote