View Single Post
Old 06-04-2012, 10:02 PM   #87
Lycanine

Drives: 2011 IBM Camaro 2SS/RS
Ladies and Gentlemen,

Mina is a no longer the push over she used to be. Before she had a "I might get into trouble" kind of attitude. Now, she's the woman that draws attention, keeps it, and slaps you silly for looking too long

I'll post pictures tomorrow, but let's just say the header install was probably the greatest story ever given on a regular Sunday afternoon...

I was definitely not comfortable doing this install on my own, and I really didn't want to miss the experience of putting these on myself, so I reached out for help...and Chris/GTAHVIT answered my call!

So about 2 o' clock yesterday, my father and I rode down to Chris' house (yes, I drove down there and yes we realized later that it made the cats extremely hot lol) to put on my new Doug Thorley 1 7/8" long tube headers!
My Dad and I had a blast getting the stock ones off the car and shooting the breeze with Chris. Everything was going peachy until...
I got something in my eye. So kids, listen up. DO NOT WRENCH UNDERNEATH YOUR CAR WITHOUT WEARING SAFETY GLASSES!
At first I figured it was just some dirt, so I tried to wash it out with some water and just let it sit while we kept going. My eye became more and more irritated as the day went on, but I just chalked it up to not getting sleep and swimming in the ocean the day before. Silly, I know, but I wanted those headers on so bad I just did my best to bear through it.

Anyways, when we succeeded in getting the stock ones off, we attempted to put together my connection pipes and the LT headers. And that began a day of searching and troubleshooting :(
You see, either by mishap or flawed design, DT put in bolts for the headers and connection pipe flanges that were too small. There was absolutely no way for me to even get one side started without being able to complete the other side. And because we started the install on a Sunday, no one was able to help us at DT or Southwest Speed. But Chris' great attitude continued to rub off on me and he came up with the idea that we should just go into town and grab longer bolts.
So we did--kinda. You see, I always joke that I am the Disaster King. Murphy's Law was a concept that they actually just stole from me and named it after themselves because I'm that unlucky lol.
We went to the nearest Home Depot and the employee told us that the bolts we were looking for, fine thread, they no longer carried. And while this is all happening my eye is getting worse and worse. So, out of the kindness of his heart, Chris graciously drives my Dad and I back to our house and the Lowe's nearby, to grab the bolts we need. When we get there, we discover that they still don't have the bolts we're looking for. Before despair could set in and I was imagining the shame of still driving with my stock headers, Chris had a great idea. Since the fine thread bolts were only to match up the nuts that came with it...why didn't we just buy new bolts and nuts that would fit?!

Let me just reiterate that Chris, is honestly the best and coolest guy around. OF ALL TIME.

So at this point, I've taken the header install way late and I'm invited for dinner (which I will pay you back for! No ifs, ands, or buts about it!) and we head over to the local Publix to grab hamburger buns and cheese.
Chris takes me for a little whirlwind tour in THR #22 on the way to Publix and shows me the absolute difference suspension mods make. Oh and a supercharger of course. We also managed to cream a bird that decided to take a leisurely flight in front of his grill lol.

Oh and remember how I said I'm the Disaster King? Yeah well, get this...
We go into Publix quickly to grab some supplies, I try not to run into little old ladies because of my eye, and we check out and head back to the parking lot.
A big Ford pick up (not even joking, I think it had it out for us) put its trailer hitch right through Chris' front bumper as we were walking out. My jaw dropped as I saw the damage and shook my head as I just officially made Chris' day even worse.

But once again, Chris' attitude was upbeat and calm. I really can not praise him enough because I've read some stories of other members on this site and the way Chris responded would have left them scratching their heads.
Anyways, we finally get back, throw on the driver side headers after some tweaking since the front sensor was short compared to the bung, and eat dinner. My eye left me pretty much useless except for bringing sockets and wrenches to Chris, and around 10:45 we finally finished. 2-10:45. Ladies and Gents, that's what happens when you're the Disaster King.

Chris, you sir are one of a kind. I sincerely can not thank you enough for all you've done in the timeframe of one day. It was an absolute pleasure meeting you, and I will try to keep my disasters to a minimum from now on. You have my eternal gratitude and will gladly help you whenever I can!

Oh and remember how I said I got something in my eye? Yeah, I went to bed last night, praying that all I felt was irritation. Haha, yeah right.
This morning at 6 I was in the ER. Luckily, (something I'm only used to on the bad variety) the doctor located the piece of metal embedded in my eyelid and pulled it out quickly. I scratched my cornea on the top of my eyeball, so my vision's only blurry from the medicine and swelling. I feel a hundred percent better today and will be driving tomorrow :woot:
Then I can install my VMAX ported throttle body and RX Catch Can!

Pictures tomorrow!