View Single Post
Old 10-28-2007, 04:22 PM   #14
DGthe3
Moderator.ca

Drives: 05 Grand Am GT
Send a message via MSN to DGthe3
Oil will never run out. Ever. It will be impossible to extract the last drop from the ground. Oil fields aren't underground lakes of gasoline. The stuff is traped in sand or porous rock. Its a mixture of diesel, fuel oils, gasoline, jet fuel, kerosene and more, commonly known as crude oil. Anyway, the reason why we will never run out of oil is because its like trying to get all the water out of a damp towel by wringing it out. You might get most of it out but never all of it. The current estimate is things will be depleted around 2040. But i don't think that considers advances in economy, increasing use (China and India), alternate technologies, undiscovered reserves, or tarsands (at least i don't think it includes them). Everybody thinks that the saudis have the most oil in the world. Not true. Its Canada, we have about 5 times as much as they do, mostly in tar sands. In fact, about half of the worlds oil is in tar sands. that might make a bit of a difference in the estimates. Besides, as demand increase while the supply decreases, the price will soar. High gas prices will reduce the usage and therefore demand, evening things out.

Also, while the price of oil is rising its not climbing as fast as everybody things. Why? inflation. Look back to the late 60's. How much did cars cost, 3000-4000 mostly. Now its 30 000 - 40 000 to buy the equivelent. The price of gas was what, $0.20-$0.25/gallon. Now its $3.50 or so. Accounting for inflation it would have been about $2.25/gal in modern terms. So yes it has increased, almost doubled. But that isn't nearly the 1000% increase people tend to think about.
My sister's dentist's brother's cousin's housekeeper's dog-breeder's nephew sells coffee filters to the company that provides coffee to General Motors......
........and HE WOULD KNOW!!!!

Camaro Fest sub-forum
DGthe3 is offline   Reply With Quote