View Single Post
Old 03-27-2013, 12:42 PM   #1648
Doc
Dances With Mustangs

Drives: 2010 1SS/RS MT
Reading the specs it looks like they spent some time reading my project thread lol

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=45165

I remember taking a lot of flak on the forum 3 years ago when I switched from 20's to 19's.

"The Camaro Z/28 features 19-inch diameter wheels and tires, which reduce unsprung weight by 42 pounds (19 kilograms) per car compared to the 20-inch wheels standard on Camaro SS and ZL1. In addition, the smaller diameter wheels lower the center of gravity by 33 millimeters, further improving handling."

I switched to the lighter RacingBrake rotors. The new Z/28 brakes should have incredible stopping power.

"To fully exploit the grip of the Pirelli tires, the Camaro Z/28 also features Brembo Carbon Ceramic MatrixTM rotors and fixed, monoblock calipers. The large 394 x 36 mm front rotors are paired with six-piston calipers, while the 390 x 32 mm rear rotors are paired four-piston calipers. Compared to similar-size, two-piece steel rotors, the lightweight carbon discs save 28 pounds (12.5 kilograms) per car."

"Other examples of weight savings include:
Eliminated the tire-inflator kit, except for Rhode Island and New Hampshire, where it is required by law
Removed interior sound deadener, and carpeting from the trunk
Replaced the standard LN4 battery with a smaller, lightweight, LN3 battery
Specified thinner, 3.2-mm glass for the rear window, compared to 3.5-mm glass on the standard Camaro HID headlamps and foglights are not available
Air conditioning is only available as a stand-alone option"

"The team was so fanatical about saving weight, we even stripped the unused wiring out of the harness when we eliminated the fog lights, speakers, and air conditioning,” said Oppenheiser. “Every ounce saved contributed to making this the most track-capable Camaro we have ever built, and a worthy successor to the Z/28 name."

They had Mark Stielow in charge of this performance-wise and it shows. This car is killer in the performance department. I like it. Except the back of the car. Which can be fixed. Hmmm..... to buy or wait for the 6th gen. That is the question.

Blue Angel is here!!
1SS/RS LS3 M6 IBM
Doc is offline   Reply With Quote