View Single Post
Old 11-14-2008, 11:44 PM   #34
fbodfather

Drives: Camaros................
Quote:
Originally Posted by chevydude26 View Post
oh come on....i blame the uaw and the union thugs ...I also blame c.a.f.e and all those government regulations for increasing the cost of making a vehicle and for having to crimp on quality to meet certain regulations

damn the unions i don't care who i offend its ridiculous that gm's labor costs are 60% more than toyota's and put some tariff's on the japanese cars...they have protectionist tariffs over there

how the heck does gm pay more for retired workers than their current workers...and gm shouldn't be a healthcare provider

screw the uaw seriously screw them

mmmmmm......not quite that simple.

There is much blame to go around:

>no level playing field with the european union and Japan and Korea --

>additional government regulations...(WHY is it that we keep legislating more and more safety features - yet there is NO National Driver Education program in this country - there are a few states where you can actually get a driver's license by taking a written test -- and you don't actually have to get behind the wheel!)

>several emission standards rather than one National one

>Apathy by the American Public

>Glacial pace of change in the past

>Unwillingness of SOME locals to change.

............there are many more, but I'm afraid I'll bring down the server if I keep listing them.......

I know the Unions are upset with those of us in Salaried Positions - but what I don't think they realize is that we are expected to work anytime needed -- with nothing like overtime -- we are 'exempt' -- we make the same money if we work 40 hours a week (I don't remember ever working 'only' 40 hours a week...) or 90 hours a week.......most of us are not 'bonus' level -- and those that are have no bonuses anymore.....we pay for the privilege of a company car.....we have sizable co-pays on our insurance (I pay over $200 a month for my heart medications) .....further, as we downsize, we take on the responsibilities of other people -- (i.e. at one time there was an an Exhibit Manager and an assistant Exhibit Manager for every Division - and Chevy had two -- one for cars, one for trucks........I'm now doing Chevy/Cad/Hummer/Saab -- and no assistants......and you know, if that's what I need to do to keep us competitive, so be it.....)

I, for one, believe (and this is my opinion...) that we SHOULD pay good wages to our laborers - because, you see, the money they make goes back into the economy.

Someone on another site said: " F*** 'em! make 'em give back 30% of their wages..........

OK.

Now - think about that.

Let's take Lordstown/Warren/Youngstown Ohio - what do you suppose would happen if we take that percentage away from our workers?

Massive foreclosures.
Local economy takes a hit
Vacation industry gets slapped
etc
etc
etc

................see, it isn't quite that easy.

What IS problematic is that the big three have, as I recall, north of 2 million retirees -- whereas Toyota has less than 600 --

OK.......now THAT'S competitive..........

There is no easy answer.

In closing...think about this:

>We won world war II by outproducing the enemy.

>The Wall Street Journal and other business periodicals credit GM with saving the economy after 9/11 --

........and yet so many Americans hate the big three.............and this, my friends, is Shameful.
fbodfather is offline   Reply With Quote