View Single Post
Old 10-16-2017, 09:20 PM   #1
killervette666

Drives: 1979 Corvette
[ASKED] 2016-2017 A8 TC Shudder

First just wanted to say thanks for taking the time to read feedback directly from us buyers, I certainly appreciate it.

I'm sure you have by now heard about the A8 torque converter shudder issue. There's a lot of threads on it here, as well as on the Corvette forums. It seems like there has been at this point multiple variations of the torque converter that has been used with the LT1, and several bulletins regarding replacement of the TC/"triple flush" of the transmission fluid to fix a shudder that occurs at certain RPMs/speeds. Most troubling is that a number of individuals have stated that they have had multiple torque converters installed only to have the shudder return (as well lots of reports of shudder returning after triple flush). I personally have a 2017 SS (built Aug. 2016) which developed the shudder, and which luckily went away after the triple flush (although I now experience significant vibrations from the driveline that I'm having the dealership look at tomorrow). Critically, it seems like GM has been mostly silent as to what's going on, whether there is any long term danger to our A8s as a result of whatever causes the shudder, and whether there is any permanent fix or if the issue has been resolved. Some have suggested that it's a problem of the torque converter being pulse modulated and constantly locking/unlocking to smoothen the transition between V4 and V8, one forum member claimed that some dealerships spoke with GM engineering and they are replacing the stator in the TC to fix the issue (with the original stator having small cracks in it), while others have suggested that GM just used the wrong fluid during original assembly. Can you please shed some light on what's going with our cars and the A8s and whether there is any permanent fix to the issue? Thank you.