View Single Post
Old 01-18-2015, 09:19 AM   #40
Number 3
Hail to the King baby!

Drives: '19 XT4 2.0T & '22 VW Atlas 2.0T
Quote:
Originally Posted by Camaro_Corvette View Post
Half the Corvette buying community says, where would I put my golf clubs?

I'm still questioning whether or not this would ever happen.
That was always my concern with it. The current Corvette is a wonderful GT. Mrs. Number 3 and I have taken vacations with Corvette convertibles with full luggage and 2 sets of golf clubs (strategic packing was required).

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotlapZL1 View Post
In the front
LOL................no. There is not a rear/mid engine car with a binnacle up front large enough for golf clubs. At least that I've seen. No Porsche can that I know of. But Porsches have room under that hatch into the rear seat. GM may protect that area if they do this.

I know the golf bags GM uses for physical evaluation aren't anything like my carry bag. They are 1950's sized canvas bags. With that evaluation we were able to get 2 sets under the deck lid of an XLR with the top down. Reality was far from that, however.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeedIsLife View Post
The Fiero had a lot of potential, GM just did not allow it to mature. The 88's were cool and actually you can bolt a V8 into them super, super easy. Down near Medford (Southern Oregon) there is a Fiero that has a GM crate ZZ383 in it...it runs like scalded dog.
Sales just tanked on that car. Wasn't that GM didn't let it mature, no one bought them in the end.

A guy who worked on it said that in order to get it approved it had to NOT be a competitor for the Corvette. So it basically got a Chevette (yikes!) front suspension and a Citation front suspension and drivetrain moved to the back and was called a "commuter" car to get approved for production. By the time GM got a good chassis under it the costs had gone up and the target market (read youth) was chased out of the car by escalating insurance rates. And sales plummeted. I think the first year they were well over 100,000 units and by the end it was 25,000.

Another one of those where GM never really gets credit for pushing the envelope. But also an example of how GM did things like the Fiero and couldn't manage to keep them going. Long list of those.