View Single Post
Old 07-19-2019, 09:54 PM   #424
Vanishing Point

Drives: 2011 Camaro SS, LSX, 4L80E
Ted, thanks for volunteering. Ive got a 2011 2SS, forged 409 LSX, 4L80E, upgraded shaft, rear end, E85, triple pumps, big injectors, meth inj., upgraded pulleys...and an undersized E-Force pushing 15lbs maxed. Has me at 719rwhp. It’s time for a bigger blower.

Thing is its a convertible, pleasure car. Read more open to sound, and more important to avoid it. Never tracked as most require a roll cage and that ain’t happening. Driven it across country, driven it to work on good weather days only, grocery getter, etc. Do some roll racing and just generally drive the shit out of it. I use all I’ve got on the streets and highways and need more. Got a quietish Magnaflow 3” exhaust system on her. Could be mean as hell sounding but kept it quiet as I want to be able to start it at 6 in the morning or whenever I feel like without having the neighbors call the cops, want to have a conversation, hear music, drive residential, etc. Of course its loud, but manageable. More like a deep bass window shaker that you feel, rather than a raspy growl.

So with wanting to keep the sound manageable, I’m a bit concerned that an upgraded blower could make it much louder. I hate that constant sound of a vacuum cleaner or industrial fan some cars have. I dont mind hearing a blower but just not unbearably so. I don’t really hear the Eforce at all. So I can’t imagine a larger Eforce pushing just over 20 pounds would be suddenly unbearably loud.

My minimum without question for a blower upgrade is 1000rwhp. I don’t want to exceed 1500rwhp. It would probably be nice to land in the middle. But if I get the right blower I can adjust it to any point within that range. I MIGHT be happy at 1K. If I got say, an F1X, I could start there and work my way up till I was happy. BUT, that could be too loud in exchange for all that power. I’ve heard some real annoying blowers (including twin turbos) especially at low speed or idle, it’s the dominating sound over everything else. Like you want to find the switch to turn off the shop vac.

I think a possible solution to all of these issues is a new roots blower with the Eaton 2650 blades. I guess Magnuson, Harrop, and Edelbrock are building their own blower systems around those blades. You might have noticed a thread (Maggie 2650?) where a Maggie rep said, there is none developed, nor does he really have any idea when an under the hood 2650 Maggie would be developed for 5th gen Camaros, even though they made them for 6th gen and other makes/models. So I guess that option is out. On the same thread, there is a guy who is currently getting an under hood Harrop 2650 installed in his 5th Gen Camaro. I’m really anxious to see his results. I see you don’t deal with the Harrop Aussies.

So my question is:
1. What do you know about the Edelbrock 2650? Will it fit my car (under hood). I have a ZL1 hood. I wouldn’t be opposed to get a new custom hood with a larger cowl. Just no cutting an open hole with those Maggie throttle bodies sticking out of it.

2. If it will fit my car, any idea on how much power it would make? I know the top end (1250 - 1500) of that range isn’t even a consideration. But I would consider going with a unit capable of as little as 1000rwhp max if it makes a huge difference in sound. Have you installed or seen one installed and familiar with its output?

3. I’ve got wide open ears for any other input you want to offer up concerning my goals.

Even if you’ve got nothing, I should pay you for reading and considering all of this.
Sincere Thanks up front.

Last edited by Vanishing Point; 07-20-2019 at 10:34 AM.
Vanishing Point is offline   Reply With Quote