View Single Post
Old 12-12-2017, 07:33 AM   #109
Norm Peterson
corner barstool sitter

Drives: 08 Mustang GT, 19 WRX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shorty45 View Post
Been trying to think of things to keep the sections alive. I posted this in Travis’s Ask Al but I will also post here to see if anyone else has experienced this. Or maybe have something to add.
“Does anybody else’s manual take off from a stop without using the throttle? I mean in no way whatsoever?
Basically, I’m sitting at a stop and I just let clutch out slowly not even touching the gas until the clutch is fully engaged. You can do this in reverse as well. And on hills! I’ve never experienced this on any other car in my life. Maybe a tractor.
I think all of the cars I've owned that had EFI could be driven away from a full stop without using any throttle. The amount of slope tolerance did vary as some function of torque at idle and overall gearing, though. It's relatively easy to build a "stall-saver" routine into the programming, and this is something for which the resulting output is subject to calibration. Nominally it's there to prevent the engine from stalling when a heavy accessory load is suddenly applied, but a drive load ends up provoking the same response.

(moved out of the Ask Al thread)

Quote:
Anyways, if this is an option this might be the reason that the car boggs on takeoff. The torque mgt might be getting too much input from the throttle position at one time. It might be the explanation about why first gear feels so tall. It could also explain the difference in taking off each time and the car does not respond the same to your foot position. If that makes sense?”
Thoughts?
If the eLSD is normally 'open', I suppose you could be getting a little one-wheel peel before it can be locked up (which you might feel happening). Just not enough to generate any tire noise. Perhaps the rear ABS wheel sensors are involved here, and there may be some tolerances involved that conspire against some cars more than others.

Does this happen on launches and street starts from a full stop made in 2nd gear?

Norm