View Single Post
Old 01-14-2012, 05:48 PM   #1
R6P

Drives: 2010 Camaro
Post Some info for ZL1 owners

Updated bulletin on post #4

Here is a portion of a transcript from a GM training video course I recently viewed. I cannot post the video, but I will share news related to the ZL1 that GM would like to pass on to those purchasing one.

I know some of this is "old news" to alot of you, I have highlighted some things that may be of interest.

2012 Camaro ZL1 Introduction Transcript

A look at the new ZL1 which is coming out in February:

A new bulletin covering the new model features for the ZL1 will be released about the time this show airs.

This high performance vehicle is equipped with an aluminum hood with a carbon fiber insert.

The front fascia has a large lower splitter to reduce front lift and increase cooling capacity.

The ZL1 comes standard with 20x10 inch front wheels and 20x11 inch rears.

The tires are Goodyear Eagle F1 Supercar Generation 2.

The fronts are 285 35ZR20s, and the rears are 305 35ZR20s.

Now the ZL1 is equipped with a 6.2L sixth generation Eaton Supercharged V8 engine.

The option code is LSA.

It is rated at 580 horsepower and 556 pound feet of torque.

This engine features an intercooled supercharger system and premium heat resistant aluminum alloy cylinder heads.

It also features hypereutectic pistons, which is a cast piston with a higher percentage of silicone giving it better thermal characteristics than a regular cast piston.

In addition, it is equipped with forged connecting rods, piston cooling oil squirters, standard oil cooler and deep sump oil pan.

Please note that the ZL1 performance parts have a break-in period.

Advise the customer that they should not drive above 80 miles an hour for the first 1,500 miles.

Following this break-in period rule will result in better performance in the long run.

During manufacturing, the 6.2L block is mounted in a bore sizing machine.

Deck plates are installed with production cylinder head bolts on both block head decks.

Main bearing caps are also installed.

Then all fasteners are torqued to their exact specifications to duplicate normal distortion in the cylinder bores before the final honing process begins.

This powertrain is mated to either a Tremec TR6060 6-speed manual transmission with a revised short throw shifter, or a Hydra-Matic 6L90 automatic transmission

with a strengthened input gear set, two additional pinion gears and a strengthened output gear set.

It's also equipped with a dual mode exhaust system similar to the Z06 Corvette.

The fuel pump and tank have been modified to maximize the amount of fuel available during high performance maneuvers.

This allows the pump access to the fuel sloshed over the tank center during high G cornering when low fuel conditions exist.

Please note: Premium fuel is required for this vehicle.

The rear differential cooler is a unique design with a concept found in no other sports car today.

It can reduce temperature by over 100 degrees Fahrenheit and maintain cool stable performance throughout the most aggressive racetrack sessions.

Note that regularly scheduled maintenance and fluid changes are still recommended.

For ZL1 track or competitive driving, the axle fluid should be replaced every six hours.

The ZL1 is equipped with extremely robust Brembo Brake System with six piston front and four piston rear calipers, and ventilated two-piece front and one-piece rear rotors.

The suspension features Generation 3 magnetic ride control with three settings, Tour, Sport and Track.

The ZL1 is also equipped with Performance Traction Management System first introduced on the Corvette ZR1 with five selectable performance levels.

Now when you do start receiving these vehicles, be aware that it has very low ground clearance.

The front shock absorbers have a spring spacer or stuffer installed at the factory to raise the front of the vehicle during shipping.

They must be removed during PDI, but should be placed in the vehicle glove box for the customer to reuse if they trailer or haul the vehicle at a later date.

Because the front end of the vehicle sets so low to the ground, it's important to reinstall these front spring spacers to raise the front suspension prior to loading onto a flatbed carrier.

Please, ask your sales person to pass this information along to the customer.

The information on the use of the spacers is in the owner manual under Towing the Vehicle.

As of the time I started this thread, the bulletin they mentioned has not yet been posted to the GM service information website

Last edited by R6P; 01-28-2012 at 10:22 AM.
R6P is offline   Reply With Quote