View Single Post
Old 10-14-2008, 09:43 PM   #12
fastball
White 'n Nerdy

Drives: 2017 Camaro 2SS 6MT
In 1997, when I was 20, I bought a fully loaded 1990 Beretta GT with 57k miles. It was near mint condition, and I absolutely loved it.......

Untill the paint started peeling, the interior plastic started cracking, the doors started rattling, and the car just started to overally feel rough and flimsy.

So, in 1999, I was -this- close to buying a Camaro Z28 untill someone I worked with encouraged me to look elsewhere, and pointed out that the Camaro's interior plastics are not much better quality than my Beretta's (and let's all be honest, the 3rd and 4th gen interiors were not made with the finest quality materials).

I ended up buying a brand new 2000 Honda Prelude in December of 1999, and it is the very same car I still drive today, albeit with 201,000 miles..... and still in pretty darn good shape.

Having said all that, I have been doing serious homework and reading alot of what Scott and the other Camaro core team engineers have been doining reguards to the design, assembly, and engineering of this new Camaro. Just as many of you have been. I have also been paying very close attention to GM's other newest cars - the Malibu, CTS, and G8.

Today, GM is doing a damn good job at out-importing the imports. High quality interior plastics, some of the tightest panel gaps I've ever seen on a car made by anyone (both interior and exterior body panels), superior chasis engineering so the car feels like one solid hunk of metal instead of a bag of bolts. This is what I see on 2007 and 2008 GM cars, and it's not what I've seen from their older cars. My Mom's 2007 Lucerne is Audi-like when you shut the doors and drive over bumps, and it puts her 1998 LeSabre that she traded from to absolute shame. Even she noticed and she is not a car enthusiast like most of us here.

GM is doing exactly what I said they needed to do 10 years ago, which is emulate Japan and Germany in quality and refinement, only do it better and with American style. I would have loved to buy a Camaro 10 years ago if when I pressed on the dashboard plastic it didn't bow in, or when I pulled on the headliner it didn't almost come all the way off. To be honest, I was a bit put off by American cars and actually very sad that to me, America couldn't build a car as good or better than Japan or Germany. I have always said I'd buy an American car if it were as good as my Honda.

Well, today, I do have faith in GM in ways I never could have imagined 10 years ago. See, I think I'm the person GM needs to win back..... the person who essentially swore off American cars completely, and vowed never to buy one again. But I guess the problem GM must overcome is those who don't pay attention to the entire car world with an open mind. I always, always, always rooted for and insisted that GM make better cars. And I swore if they did one day I would go back to them.

In an ironic twist of fate, not only have they improved their overall quality and reliability exponentailly over the last 10 years, but the culmination of it all is going into the car I was originally going to buy, opted not to, and then saw it discontinued with thoughts I never would be able to anyway.

Yes, I love the Camaro for what the Camaro is. But for me, it's more than just the return of the Camaro. It's GM as a whole, better quality, better reliability, and attention to details that they never had before.

They've won me back, and I really hope many more of the folks who've jumped to Honda, Toyota, and BMW and MB over the years give GM a good, close, hard look and pay attention to what they are doing.

So, no, I'm not worried about reliability. Besides, both the 3.6 and LS3 are rated among the best engines in the automotive world.
fastball is offline   Reply With Quote